C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure

Old 12-15-2012, 12:08 PM
aaron_chase99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure

Ok read a few post on here but hopeing for a straight answer the car is a 02 corvette coupe ls1 manual. The other day the pressure dropped to zero. Parked the car turned it on today and it was working fine till I stoped and started it again and again reading no oil pressure on gauge or dic. I have read that it normally reads 80 when the sensor goes. I'm going to see if its a loose connection but anything else it could be. I don't hear any out of the ordinary noise or knock. The car does have 170000 miles on it. It's ready for a ls6 but I'm trying to push the motor as far as I can
Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My vote is on the sensor. Many people will say that when it fails it goes to max pressure but there have been quite a few threads in the past couple months of people with failed sensors reading 0 and the problem being solved with a new sensor.
If it was an issue with the oil pump, and you truly had 0 psi, you would know within a few seconds just by the noises you would hear.
It's cheap enough to replace the sensor, and then if that doesn't fix it, hook up a manual gauge and take a reading to confirm pressure.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 PM
aaron_chase99
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick reply the sensor is on the back side of the intake correct
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron_chase99
Thanks for the quick reply the sensor is on the back side of the intake correct
Behind the intake manifold on the block.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:23 PM
aaron_chase99
Intermediate

Ok that's what I ment just not what I said... Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Your ECM has a bulit in "low oil pressure warning" system that will flash if you have low or no oil pressure--This sytem is completly separate from the oil pressure gauge--- At idle the stock low oil pressure warning will come on if the pressure drops below 17 PSI--It is scaled up beyond that accoring to the RPM's---At WOT the low warning will falsh if the pressure drops below 40 PSI----( each year may have different values inputed into the tune--but these are the most common)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM
aaron_chase99
Intermediate

So where will it desplay then cuz the dic say 0 oil pressure as well but that should co inside with the sensor correct. Eaither way ill start with the sensor and go from there
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron_chase99
So where will it desplay then cuz the dic say 0 oil pressure as well but that should co inside with the sensor correct. Eaither way ill start with the sensor and go from there
I've never heard of a "low oil pressure warning system".
Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM
butch2000
Advanced

The sending unit's are junk , purchase the relocation kit , and this will be the only time you will have to pull the intake , to change it , they say you can change it with out pulling the intake , but in my opion it is 3 times frustrating to do it that way ! and if you have never done it before , even more , it's always nice to see what your working on to aviod errors , good luck ,
The intake can be off in 30 min , better way in my opion
Old 12-16-2012, 11:24 AM
aaron_chase99
Intermediate

ok thanks about to go pull i now, I had the intake off a few weeks ago to replace knock sensor, im hopeing the harness might just be a little loose but i will replace it eaither way. Ill look into the relocate kit.

on another question, im looking into refreshing the motor come taxes, would like to rebuild or replace but i dont think ill have enough cash. with it having over 170000 miles can i get away with just getting the heads check and interners replaced and leave the block and pistions alone or should i go a head and pulll the block and have it all looked at.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 AM
butch2000
Advanced

well that is a huge question , depends on alot of factors ? how well has it been looked after ? does it run great now ? etc , what do you want to do with it ? how much HP are you looking to produce ? etc ? the bottom ends on these are very strong , if it was properly maintained the short block is probally ok , unless you plain on 600 plus HP , why do you want to pull the heads ? etc
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM
aaron_chase99
Intermediate

I can tell the car was beat up. I have had to go throw and replace a bunch of sensors already and got a few more to go but it seems to run well. If its making any abnormal engine noise it's not loud enough to notice. I don't see over 600 up in the near future. I figured the heads would be the first to go atleast need to replace the lifters rods And arms soon. And probable beef up the cam while I'm at it ( which means pulling the anyways)

I pulled the intake it looks like theirs some oil getting up in the intake what could be the cause

Last edited by aaron_chase99; 12-16-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BigGun
I've never heard of a "low oil pressure warning system".
It's in all of the GM Gen III and Gen IV engine's ECM---You won't be able to view it without EFILIVE or HP tuners--
It's located in the "engine protection file"
Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
Your ECM has a bulit in "low oil pressure warning" system that will flash if you have low or no oil pressure--This sytem is completly separate from the oil pressure gauge--- At idle the stock low oil pressure warning will come on if the pressure drops below 17 PSI--It is scaled up beyond that accoring to the RPM's---At WOT the low warning will falsh if the pressure drops below 40 PSI----( each year may have different values inputed into the tune--but these are the most common)
Really? Did not know this....so if the sensor is screwed the oil light or service engine light will come on under no pressure? Nice!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 PM
jward2496
Advanced

Mine was the sender.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
aaron_chase99
Intermediate

ok while replaced the sensor all is well so far. Im going to order a tuner after the holidays cuz i dont have cats and the tuner will be able to cancel out the codes so my engine light will go off. next task is fix the HUD and figure out what to do about the arm rests that are pealing up. anyone have or know where to get a replacment drivers seat electric track or he whole seats? Oh and i should probable find out why the windshild washer wont work. the hoses are not cloged and i replaced the motor but i still dont hear it engage. (like i said the car was abused but im working on bringing her back)
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RedC5
Really? Did not know this....so if the sensor is screwed the oil light or service engine light will come on under no pressure? Nice!
Don't know exactly how it notifies you---I've never seen one that's been triggered on---it may be just the check engine light--a new separate message in the DIC-- or an oil light
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
Don't know exactly how it notifies you---I've never seen one that's been triggered on---it may be just the check engine light--a new separate message in the DIC-- or an oil light
I dont think this works....my sensor is f'd up now. When it did work and I change my oil, and restart it, would usually notice some time for the pressure to build from 0. Now with no sensor working, no Check Engine light comes on for the first few seconds of pressure build up I remember.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pressure