C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Manual Transmission Part Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 AM
cpaxson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Manual Transmission Part Needed

Hi All:

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in the general section. I've tried General, now I'll try here. If I've erred, many apologies.

I am badly in need of a 1st and 2nd Gear Synscronizer Assembly for a 2001 Corvette 6-speed convertible.
The AC/Delco part is #12455006 1st and 2nd Gear Synchronizer Assembly

At the end of November, I brought a beautiful, low mileage, 2001 Millennium Yellow convertible - long story short, I had 3 Corvettes in my youth, a '63, '67 and '69 and although I was finally forced to grow up, I never lost my love of the cars. Fast forward, having recently been diagnosed with end stage renal disease, I decided it was Bucket List Time and so I brought the C5. As a condition of sale, they were to fix a synchro problem and there the story gets placed on hold..... the car sits on a lonely lift, awaiting a part they say they can't find anywhere. A part was finally located on Amazon but the ship time is over 2 months away.

Anyway, I thought I would ask the forum for some help. Does anyone have any idea where I might obtain a 1st and 2nd Gear Sunchronizer Assembly for a 2001 manual transmission C5? Again, the ACDelco name/number is:
12455006 1st and 2nd Gear Synchronizer Assembly

I'm having a hard time believing that there isn't one somewhere, I mean it can't be that uncommon a part, can it? My mechanical skills are sketchy... or maybe it's just that I'm not smart enough to know where or how to look.

If someone, anyone, has any ideas I would be eternally grateful; it would be the best Christmas present I could receive/ You can PM me or my regular email is cpaxson@wowway.com

Happy Holidays to all and thanks for reading,
Charles
Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rockauto says they have it. Is there some reason the shop can't search sites other than Amazon?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 AM
cpaxson
Advanced

They are an ex-Chevrolet dealer that got caught up in GM downsizing and have become the Ferrari dealer so they abruptly closed their shop on 11/19 to all but Ferrari and their racing program. My car was already there and got caught up in the ensuing melodrama and confusion. I suspect that I'm not a high priority and I don't believe much of an effort was made to obtain the parts other than through their regular suppliers although maybe this is unfair. I've been told several different stories and so it's hard to draw a conclusion. At any rate, when the suppliers all reported this assembly on back order, the shop was content to say "Well, we can't do anuthing until we get the part, it's on back order." I'm guessing they probably even feel like going to Amazon was above and beyond; I've been told a couple of different stories. At any rate, back to the old adage, if you want something done, do it yourself. At this point nothing matters to me except getting the car finished and back on the road.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I think if I were in your position I would just source a replacement transmission. Then just do a quick swap. Your old transmission could still be repaired and resold. I bet very few dealerships have done rebuilds on C5 6 speeds anyway.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default 1-2 gear synchronizer assembly

$306.88 @ gmpartseast

Item #20

I think you're getting the runaround.

HTH
Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Contact Rick Kim.. If theres a T-56 part, either he will have it or knows where to get it.

Heres a post that has all of his contact info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...onversion.html

You can also contact Gene or Patrick at www.gmpartshouse.com They have a very wide available selection of GM parts on hand and or can find them for you.

I agree,,, a used good ZO6 replacement can get you back on the road quickly.

BC
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM
cpaxson
Advanced

Big, BIG Thanks to all members who posted and PM'd with advice and suggestions. You guys are the BEST.
And many thanks to Rick at RKT56 who got the parts together and had them ready to ship today (Monday) despite the holiday when I'm sure he had other distractions than some moron nagging him for transmission parts. Stuff will be here Wednesday morning, hopefully I'm on the road by the weekend. Rick was outstanding. Prompt replys to questions, emails.... outstanding customer service the likes of which you don't see much anymore but which you can still find here with the forumn venders.
Happy Holidays to all and THANKS once again.
Charles

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Manual Transmission Part Needed

Quick Reply: 2001 Manual Transmission Part Needed