C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Hub - Raybestos vs AC Delco

Old 12-26-2012, 01:15 PM
_Spare_Ribs_
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Hub - Raybestos vs AC Delco

Hello,

Merry Christmas to all.

So I need to get the front wheel hub replaced on the driver's side of my C5. The Chevy dealer gave me the GM replacement part for an AC Delco part (88967287). As money is always a bit tight after Christmas I went to rockauto.com in search of equivilants and I came across a part by Raybestos which seems to be the same except it's $100 cheaper. The Raybestos part number is 713139.

Does anyone have any experience with the Raybestos part. Is it a decent replacement part? Or is it worth paying the extra $100 for the AC Delco part?

Thanks for any feedback / advice
Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

I purchased a Timken hub (OEM is supposed to be Timken) for my 08 (which takes the same hub) at AutoZone a few months ago. Cost was in the $160 range.

Bill
Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 PM
buyyourvette
Instructor

Get Timken, you can also get them at RockAuto.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:11 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Find and buy a timken if you can, they are US made and a quality unit. Not sure of the country of manufacture of the Raybestos, some of the GM stuff is now made in China. Do not purchase a China made hub !!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM
_Spare_Ribs_
Advanced

Thank you all for your feedback. I just got back from AutoZone with a Timken hub in hand
$156.99 for the record and Part Number is 513139
Old 12-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Deanos/2004/C5
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by _Spare_Ribs_
Thank you all for your feedback. I just got back from AutoZone with a Timken hub in hand
$156.99 for the record and Part Number is 513139
I need the same thing replaced on my car, the front hubs are driving me crazy, what kind of noise were your hubs making?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
_Spare_Ribs_
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deanos/2004/C5
I need the same thing replaced on my car, the front hubs are driving me crazy, what kind of noise were your hubs making?
I'm not an expert at describing sounds but its like a soft thud sound everytime the wheel goes round. I clipped a curb and that was when the sound started for me. I got the mechanic to check it out when he was changing the rotors and said it was visibly bent so I went with his diagnosis. If you have to get any work done on your front brakes any time soon it's a good time to check it out whilst they are in there

I'm having the part installed this Friday so I will report back if that does the trick.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Deanos/2004/C5
Heel & Toe

I'm not an expert at describing sounds but its like a soft thud sound everytime the wheel goes round. I clipped a curb and that was when the sound started for me. I got the mechanic to check it out when he was changing the rotors and said it was visibly bent so I went with his diagnosis. If you have to get any work done on your front brakes any time soon it's a good time to check it out whilst they are in there

I'm having the part installed this Friday so I will report back if that does the trick.
You should check it out first, all you have to do is take off the tires and renove the caliper with pads. Then you spin the wheels and if there is any noise it is your wheel bearings, it comes as a complete assembly for about 150 bucks more or less. I called the dealership and they want like 1100 to do the work
Old 12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
_Spare_Ribs_
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deanos/2004/C5
I called the dealership and they want like 1100 to do the work
That sounds about right. Dealer wanted $350 for the part about $200 for the labor so if you were going to do both front ones $1100 is about right. Can save a few coins by getting the part from AutoZone for $160 and I guess depending on your skill set you could change it yourself but I would rather the dealer do that. Also I need to get my wheels re-aligned as my steering wheel is now nicely at a diagonal when driving straight and that's definitely not something I can do myself
Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Deanos/2004/C5
Heel & Toe

That sounds about right. Dealer wanted $350 for the part about $200 for the labor so if you were going to do both front ones $1100 is about right. Can save a few coins by getting the part from AutoZone for $160 and I guess depending on your skill set you could change it yourself but I would rather the dealer do that. Also I need to get my wheels re-aligned as my steering wheel is now nicely at a diagonal when driving straight and that's definitely not something I can do myself
I am going to do it myself, there is a post in the forum that shows a great DIY for the hub replacement. I would agree with you, and have the dealer do it to realign the front. I would have them check the whole front end for damage, vettes are not made for bouncing off curbs lol

Good Luck Brother!!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
_Spare_Ribs_
Advanced

all done with the replacement and problem is gone. Car runs great again and doesn't sound like I'm driving with 3 wheels and a potato
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM
VETTEV
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I purchased a Timken hub (OEM is supposed to be Timken) for my 08 (which takes the same hub) at AutoZone a few months ago. Cost was in the $160 range.

Bill
I purchased the Timken too and installed them a couple weeks ago. 2 year warranty from AutoZone. It takes about 45 minutes per side to replace them and cleaning as you go. Made a very big difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Wheel Hub - Raybestos vs AC Delco

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Wheel Hub - Raybestos vs AC Delco