C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent: Can't get half shaft replacement to go in..

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Urgent: Can't get half shaft replacement to go in..

Nevermind, I was able to harness the wrath of Thor to pound that axle shaft in. Please delete this thread.

Last edited by Birdman; 01-20-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
Nevermind, I was able to harness the wrath of Thor to pound that axle shaft in. Please delete this thread.
"Pound that axle shaft in"

Unnecessary.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bumble-z
"Pound that axle shaft in"

Unnecessary.
Yes...yes it was.

Look:

This wasn't my first time swapping an axle shaft. The first time it went on without any issue. This time I broke two breaker bars (with cheater bars) trying to get the axle nut off. Last time I got it off with just a breaker bar without problem. I finally borrowed an electric impact wrench that after an hour of soaking in PB blaster got it off. Then when I went to slide the new shaft in it kept getting stuck right after the tip went in. There is no snap ring to get in the way so it wasn't that. The threads on both shafts were smooth and clean. I had generous amounts of grease added. It just wouldn't go in. I tried tapping it lightly and nothing. I would take it out and inspect everything but it just didn't make sense. Finally I got it in after about 2 minutes of pounding the end of it with a rubber mallet non stop and with much wrath.

Last edited by Birdman; 01-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

GM half shaft?
I suspect the splines inside looked good, but weren't.
If you would have had a spare diff output shaft lying around, would have been a good test.

What's up with no snap ring? Seems like GM put it there for a reason. Even the aftermarket diff shafts have the provision for one.

Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
GM half shaft?
I suspect the splines inside looked good, but weren't.
If you would have had a spare diff output shaft lying around, would have been a good test.

What's up with no snap ring? Seems like GM put it there for a reason. Even the aftermarket diff shafts have the provision for one.

Ron
Autocrap half shaft.. My OEM one had a torn boot and I replaced it at the time with an autozone one. The autozone one snapped after a year of autox/dragstrips/roadcourses. It was mainly due to wheel hop though, if I had to guess. Regardless I plan on putting a new boot on the OEM one and putting it back in. Definitely don't trust the crappy Chinese ones, not that I really did initially..

You may be right about the output shaft splines...thankfully I was able to get it back on though.

I talked to a few guys from the forum, one being a well known vendor/shop owner who said it wasn't needed. I was told that it was put there at the factory during assembly to keep it from slipping out before it was all put on the car.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Pretty much figures. I think Fugly Hippo busted one of the Autozones with little effort.
Get that stocker fixed.

Might be a good idea to buy a used oem spare or two.

i'm betting the one you put on might not be too fun to remove.

Caught your car in Corvette mag. Good job.

Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Pretty much figures. I think Fugly Hippo busted one of the Autozones with little effort.
Get that stocker fixed.

Might be a good idea to buy a used oem spare or two.

i'm betting the one you put on might not be too fun to remove.

Caught your car in Corvette mag. Good job.

Ron
Yeah definitely gonna rebuild the stocker. And not looking forward to replacing the second autocrap one. lol

And thanks! It was a big honor.

Get notified of new replies

To Urgent: Can't get half shaft replacement to go in..

Quick Reply: Urgent: Can't get half shaft replacement to go in..