C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, the car is finally out of the shop....[LONG]

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 04:54 PM
BlueC5Kitten
Le Mans Master

Location: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Well, the car is finally out of the shop....[LONG]

For those of you who have been following my saga, after the replacement of the steering position module, the car worked fine....for about a week! Then, bing, bing....Service Active Handling, Service Vehicle Soon. :( I decide to let it go until it does it again...except it didn't! Then last Sunday, I start the car and am greeted with "Decreased Engine Power, Service Active Handling, Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Service Tire Pressure Sensors, etc" I shut the car off and wait about 10 seconds, start it up again, and then just bing, bing...Service Active Handling, Service Vehicle Soon." :mad I check the codes....a total of 30 were thrown! :eek:

I am determined to get the car repaired, so I take it in Tuesday, figuring they will have it ready by Thursday morning before I go out of town. WRONG! The tech looks at it on Tuesday and says he needs to replace the PCM and a couple sensors and modules, among other things and he will need to order them for delivery. I get a loaner car (Cavalier! Ugh!) so I can go about my business while the Vette is in the shop.

I call Wednesday afternoon, because I haven't heard anything from anyone regarding my car, and I get a call back from the Tech. He said he thought he fixed it yesterday afternoon, but then he wanted to let it sit and start it cold in the AM, so he does and gets a whole plethora of messages and codes again. He decides to contact GM, who proceeds to tell him that he will need to install another Steering Position Module, and then put the car up on the lift and crank the wheel all the way to the left and right 100 times to set the module!!! :eek: At this point, I thought he was joking, but he assured me that was their instruction. :nonod: So he had to have the car for another day to wait for a new Steering Position Module to arrive, and then to complete the "learning" of the module.

So the car stayed the whole time I was in Florida (2 days), and I picked it up on Saturday morning. Hopefully this will do the trick, having the PCM replaced, the Electronic Braking and Traction Control Module, as well as a new Steering Position Module!

Thanks for listening... :( This makes time #8 in the shop since 28 March of this year. :(

[Modified by BlueC5Kitten, 2:55 PM 6/17/2002]
Old 06-17-2002, 05:01 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Well, the car is finally out of the shop....[LONG] (BlueC5Kitten)

I understand your plight. They had my car for 6 weeks on a lift at the dealership while awaiting parts to repair the transmission just two months after buying the car. I should have filed a Lemon claim but I had waited 6 mos. for the car and had become kind of attached.

I would suggest you look and see if you can still file.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:01 PM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Well, the car is finally out of the shop....[LONG] (BlueC5Kitten)

Check the Lemon Laws....you might qualify for a new car. Eight times in the shop since March 28th sounds like you have a lemon.

Get notified of new replies

To Well, the car is finally out of the shop....[LONG]

Quick Reply: Well, the car is finally out of the shop....[LONG]