C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch pedal adjustments?

Hey all,
I am curious if there is a way to adjust the stock clutch pedal.
My issue is I am average height (5'10") but I tend to sit back in the sit and with the seat moved more to the rear. This position leaves me fitting in the car perfect with the gas and brake pedals, along with the steering wheel.

The problem I have is that reaching the clutch pedal is ok.... UNTIL I have to press it in. Then I find myself reaching far to push it in to a point that it engages.
This causes me to scoot down in the seat to press the clutch in to start the car.
This causes me to not fully engage the clutch when i am driving and at times not allowing the gear to engage when shifting.
I definitely have issues with trying to engage the 1st and 5th gear

I thought maybe there was an adjustment to allow it to engage more towards the top of the pedal (aka, less throw of the pedal needed to engage). I am also wondering if there is away to adjust the clutch pedal starter switch.
Basically I want to make driving the car easier

Your answers appreciated
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You can buy a tick adjustable master cylinder. you shouldn't need to press it too far to release the clutch though. try bleeding and changing your fuild before dropping the money on a tick master. How many miles is on your current clutch setup?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would honestly spring for the Tick MC anyways. That is an adjustable MC and the stroke is shorter than the stock unit. The Tick MC is a superior MC than the OEM and other aftermarket MCs, which happen to use the same OEM body as the factory MC.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

write-up

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...nder-pics.html
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the info, but I am actually trying to adjust the pedal.... not how the master cylinder engages the pressure.

Basically what i am saying is.... my leg is too short for how I sit in the car to work the pedal correctly.

It is almost like if I could move the pedal forward some, add a block of wood to it or something to make it more available to my left legs reach
Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

I gotcha! Sorry bud
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Any help with pedal adjustment.
Or doesn't allow for that?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"What I'm saying is....my leg is too short for how I sit in the car to work the pedal correctly"

Hope this may help.
http://www.shop.bondraperformanceeng...orEZClutch.htm
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM
callie454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z
"What I'm saying is....my leg is too short for how I sit in the car to work the pedal correctly"

Hope this may help.
http://www.shop.bondraperformanceeng...orEZClutch.htm
^^^ Looks to be the perfect solution! But I gotta admit, it made me laugh a little bit...
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by callie454
^^^ Looks to be the perfect solution! But I gotta admit, it made me laugh a little bit...

Haven't heard a word back, from the Original poster.
Wonder what his opinion is of the item?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Haven't heard a word back, from the Original poster.
Wonder what his opinion is of the item?
Bumble, though I appreciate the information... I got to agree with Callie, it made me laugh.

Just wondering if there is a way to make a show throw clutch pedal.
Basically, leaving the pedal in place as it now but changing the distance it needs to move to fully engage the master cylinder.

I have done this before in other cars.
Adjusted the clutch pedal....
So instead of say pushing the pedal in 3 inches to engage the clutch fully, you only have to push it in 1 inch.
Which usually meant you were engaging the clutch at the top of the pedal swing.

Any help would be great
Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

I really don't know what more you could possibly want.
The unit describes of raising the clutch pedal surface 40mm's, which is equivalent to aprox...... 1-5/8"
Old 03-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

well actually the tick mc does reduce the amount of travel needed for full engagement, but I would probably talk to tick 1st, or go the route already suggested by bumble-z
Old 03-16-2013, 02:01 PM
callie454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TKT-MKR
Just wondering if there is a way to make a short throw clutch pedal. Basically, leaving the pedal in place as it now but changing the distance it needs to move to fully engage the master cylinder.
You would need to change the fulcrum point of the clutch pedal assembly in order to accomplish this. In essence getting more pressure through the clutch hydraulics while using less pedal throw.

I have done this before in other cars.
Adjusted the clutch pedal....
So instead of say pushing the pedal in 3 inches to engage the clutch fully, you only have to push it in 1 inch.
Which usually meant you were engaging the clutch at the top of the pedal swing.
I can only assume that the clutches that you've adjusted in the past were not hydraulic systems. The older cable style clutch linkages allowed for pedal placement. To the best of my knowledge, hydraulic systems with masters and slaves do not.

Last edited by callie454; 03-17-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 03-16-2013, 03:49 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys,
That might be my issue (cable/mechanical vs. hydraulic). Might be the reason why I am like "I know I can do this, but how?" and you guys are like "what the heck is this guy talking about" hehehe

I will call Tick and see what i can come up with. i have already figure out how to make an adjustable clutch stop. I am sure i can figure this out :-)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

I appreciate the info, but I am actually trying to adjust the pedal.... not how the master cylinder engages the pressure.

Basically what i am saying is.... my leg is too short for how I sit in the car to work the pedal correctly.

It is almost like if I could move the pedal forward some, add a block of wood to it or something to make it more available to my left legs reach
There is no adjustment. Move the seat forward, or buy something that moves the pedal towards you.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The Tick is DEFINITELY NOT the solution here. With the Tick master, everyone I know ends up with a clutch pedal that sits lower than stock. You adjust the Tick for proper disengagement - not pedal height. They are very specific about this. The reason being, if you adjust the Tick for pedal height, you will over extend your slave cylinder or blow the hydraulic quick connect in the clutch line. It has happened a number of times on different forums.

I run a Tick master and it's a great master cylinder and corrects a problem with the stocker and aftermarket clutches. Yes, mine does sit lower than stock - properly adjusted. It took about 5 minutes to get used to it.

Cartek made an adjustable stock master. They cut the rod and welded on an adjustable with a heim joint end. It worked well but when I changed clutches, I went with the Tick to try to get the Spec 3+ to shift. I now run an RPS CC Twin Lite clutch.

Last edited by WKMCD; 03-16-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal adjustments?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal adjustments?