C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0442 and gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM
dfp215
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0442 and gas smell

System keeps setting P0442, evap leak and I'm getting the smell of gas. Any common problems to look for when I get the car to my mechanic. I have looked under the car and don't see any drips. Gas cap o ring is not cracked or damaged at all. And sniffing around gas cap there is no gas smell at all. smell it if windows are down at a stop and when car is parked in garage. The smell will go away sitting in garage after a hour or so.

Last edited by dfp215; 04-01-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The vacuum supply for that starts on the drivers side of the intake manifold just aft of the TB and goes to the firewall via a funky accordion hose to a solenoid valve. Start ther with those components. If all that is good, you will have to get under the car at the area on the frame above the tanks for the REST of the STORY!

Thats where the canister and other vent valves and hoses lives.

Bill
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dfp215
System keeps setting P0442, evap leak and I'm getting the smell of gas. Any common problems to look for when I get the car to my mechanic. I have looked under the car and don't see any drips. Gas cap o ring is not cracked or damaged at all. And sniffing around gas cap there is no gas smell at all. smell it if windows are down at a stop and when car is parked in garage. The smell will go away sitting in garage after a hour or so.
Exactly the same problem with my 2003 Z06. Smell gas after a fill-up and P0442. Looks like I'll be learning lots about the fuel system on my car now.

Did you find your problem? If so what was it?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Ogopogo
Advanced

It might be a long shot but check the fuel line connection on the fuel filter. 2 weeks ago mine became disconnectedwith more than 2000 miles after a filter change. Came home on a deck truck and changed the $1.00 plastic fitting. Couldn't see anything wrong with the fitting that was on there. Dodged a bullet on that one. Fuel pouring onto the exhaust. Fortunately I was parked.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

Sometime in mid 03 they changed the fuel tanks and crossover conector between the tanks was swithched to a steel acordian type line, These have been known to crack where they connect to the tank. If your car is under 10 years old there is a program going on where GM will change the tanks on an extended warranty type deal. ( I may not have all the details on this correct, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken on something though) If this is the problem you should be able to see some fuel leaking were the crossover tube connects to the 2 tanks. You can see it if you get under the car and shine a flash light up in that area.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM
dfp215
Instructor

Originally Posted by Atok
Exactly the same problem with my 2003 Z06. Smell gas after a fill-up and P0442. Looks like I'll be learning lots about the fuel system on my car now.

Did you find your problem? If so what was it?
I cleared the code and the problem has not returned..maybe something got stuck and it is working OK now?? I'll address it if it comes back. But for now thanks to all who offered some help..
Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The vacuum supply for that starts on the drivers side of the intake manifold just aft of the TB and goes to the firewall via a funky accordion hose to a solenoid valve. Start ther with those components. If all that is good, you will have to get under the car at the area on the frame above the tanks for the REST of the STORY!

Thats where the canister and other vent valves and hoses lives.

Bill
And that hose cracks and breaks easily, the one on my car is hard plastic. It's easy to check and spot just pop off the fuel rail cover. You might not see the code again until you run the tank down pretty low.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:53 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dfp215
I cleared the code and the problem has not returned..maybe something got stuck and it is working OK now?? I'll address it if it comes back. But for now thanks to all who offered some help..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...o442-code.html
Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty confident it's my filler pipe. I only smell gas when I'm filling, even a small bit. This weekend I'll pull the inner fender and take a look.

Get notified of new replies

To P0442 and gas smell

Quick Reply: P0442 and gas smell