C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Front wheel rubbing on rack and pinion housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
mipsal
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Front wheel rubbing on rack and pinion housing

I have a C5 convertible, 2003 50th Anniversary model which I bought used last year. At an autocross driving school the instructor and I both noticed a strange thumping noise while out on the course. When I returned home I found I could replicate the noise. Every time I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and keep turning the rubbing noise occurs. When the car is up on a hoist you can see the marks on the inside of the right front wheel where is seems to be hitting the rack and pinion housing. Anyone else had this problem and know what causes it? Solutions? Thanks for you help.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM
mipsal
Cruising

Thanks for the reply. I think the wheels are stock, they appear to be those that came with the 50th Anniv. package. The tires aren't original. They're not run flats but I think they're the same size as original. I'll check. The CarFax did report that the car had been in an accident in June 2008, but indicated no structural damage or airbag deployment issues reported.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

C5 upper control can bend and appear normal.

wheel is hitting the rack or the control arm?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 PM
mipsal
Cruising

When the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left, the inside of the right front wheel hits the rack. You can see the marks on the inside of the wheel from contact with the rack.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
mipsal
Cruising

I double checked the tires and they are the standard size, fronts are 245/45 ZR17. Thanks to 8VETTE7 and Steve Doten for replies.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the previous owner may have set it up for drifting or something, and increased the turn angle...my Vert does not turn enough to touch anything and I have it lower and with 265/35/18 fronts.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM
mipsal
Cruising

Well I took my vert into the Chevy dealer who sponsors our local Corvette club this morning. They looked it over and said the lower control arm was bad. No doubt it was damaged in the accident that was listed on the CarFax report. Guess I should have run the other way when I read it. Oh well, the new arm should be installed tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM
mipsal
Cruising

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I trust you will be taking the car for a 4 wheel alignment after the new control arm is installed!!!
Yea, the tech was careful to point out that the cost estimate did not include what he might find when he checked the alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Front wheel rubbing on rack and pinion housing

Quick Reply: C5 Front wheel rubbing on rack and pinion housing