C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine, monster clutch and Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default New engine, monster clutch and Dyno tune

I almost done my ls6 install with ported heads, tsp 228r cam, ported fast 92 w ls7 tb, vararam and lt's . I also installed a new monster level 2 clutch. I got a sheet with the clutch explaining the break in procedure.
Here's the question. Won't the needed Dyno tune damage my new clutch? I doubt it will run well enough w the oe injectors and tune to do the clutch break in procedure.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine had this same issue with his z06. Our tuner put a break in tune on it so it was atleast drivable for the 500 mile break in, after the 500 mile break in he then proceeded to do a full dyno and street tune on it. I've also known a lot of people to gun their car to redline right after installing a new clutch and never had an issue, not something I'd recommend though lol. BTW good choice in clutches, you'll love it, I've had my Stage 2 for 13,000 miles so far.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't see how a dyno tune could damage a clutch, the clutch isn't slipping during a dyno tune. Now engine/transmission/diff break-in that has rpm restrictions - that I can see being an issue, but not the clutch.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

You mean a LS2 90mm TB ? I don't think an LS7 will fit on a Fast 92mm will it ?

That's kind of a pickle though. With no break in the clutch has not had time to fully grove itself into the flywheel. Your clamping pressure would not be up to full spec.

Toque
Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by etekberg
I don't see how a dyno tune could damage a clutch, the clutch isn't slipping during a dyno tune. Now engine/transmission/diff break-in that has rpm restrictions - that I can see being an issue, but not the clutch.
No high rpm power shifting or high rpm slippage during a "launch", etc on a dyno.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 AM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have two concerns.
One of the best tests for a weak or slipping clutch is put the trans in 4th gear and mat the throttle from about 2000 rpm.
If the clutch slips on the Dyno it will skew the results and may never work properly.
Has anyone ever been there done that? New monster level two install and go directly on a Dyno? Problems or side effects? I have an appt at Cartek Thursday. I am anxious for Julio to work his magic.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by martysauto
I have two concerns.
One of the best tests for a weak or slipping clutch is put the trans in 4th gear and mat the throttle from about 2000 rpm.
Doing that on the street puts a heavy load. Spinning dyno rollers is not a heavy load. Apples and oranges.

Get notified of new replies

To New engine, monster clutch and Dyno tune

Quick Reply: New engine, monster clutch and Dyno tune