C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke, black exhaust tips, and strong smell

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts
Default White smoke, black exhaust tips, and strong smell

My '02 Z06 recently developed a really strong odor when driving. Smells like a bad exhaust leak inside but I haven't been able to find one anywhere in the system. When I switched axle backs the center two tips turned black very quickly, in less than 100 miles. The car sometimes dies at lower rpms and overall doesn't seem to drive as good as it used to before the weather warmed up. My friend was following me last night and said it was blowing white smoke when I got on the throttle.

The car has 111k miles and I installed a new cam, lifters, head gaskets, springs, valve seals, etc about 1000 miles ago. I had it tuned by a reputable local shop and these problems all developed when the weather got hot.

I pulled the battery cable to reset everything last weekend and it seemed better but came right back after about 20 minutes of driving.

I know white smoke usually means coolant, but I feel like the car is running super rich lately, with poor economy to go along with it. The rpms also like to hang when coming off the throttle or stopping at the light. I feel like a lot could be wrong. Any ideas where to start???
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Checked the coolant tonight and it wasn't low. The oil also smelled and appeared normal.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

The white smoke tells me you're burning coolant. It may not be bad enough to drop the levels yet. Try pulling the spark plugs. If one or several are really clean (like brand new), you have a coolant leak in that cylinder. Typically a coolant leak steam cleans the cylinder it is leaking into.

I don't know much about tuning but maybe your tuner needs to double check the tables to ensure he doesn't have it running too rich at lower speeds. I wonder if he was compensating for WOT conditions. Also check electrical and other connections at the MAF sensor. Just thought starters.

Get notified of new replies

To White smoke, black exhaust tips, and strong smell

Quick Reply: White smoke, black exhaust tips, and strong smell