C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
csyvarth
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Rotors

Was told last time I had an oil change that my front brake pads would need replacing soon. Purchased the pads and took her in yesterday and was told I should replace the rotors each time I replace the pads. I had them replace the rotors but would like to know if there is any truth to this. Thanks for any info!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

depends. if they are not damaged or grooved, then no. If you are pulsing when you hit the brakes then you probably have "hot spots" Some call this warping, but really it is a combo of patches of oxide and transferred pad material. They can be re-faced if not used for track.

Rotors are a composite of gray cast iron and steel. The steel part is the "hat", the part that bolts to the hub, and the cast iron is the friction face. The hat can "warp" but you have to crank some kind of heat into it and then put a side load, which really takes some doing
Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 PM
csyvarth
Heel & Toe

Thanks, the mechanic did mention hot spots, but he said regardless of that he recommends replacing the rotors anytime you replace the pads. He mentioned that the new pads and rotor will break in together, where as if you just install new pads on an old rotor you will get squeaking and other noise. I do remember back in the day you could reface the rotors and install new pads. I guess to have a proper working breaking system it was worth the extra $200.00 for the new rotors. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Optimally yes you should replace the pads and rotors together. With that being said, if your existing rotors are in good condition there is nothing wrong with properly prepping the existing rotors and installing new pads. I personally do not recommend or encourage resurfacing brake rotors (just my personal preference).
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a crock. If your rotors are not worn and are within spec, (assuming they are not damaged) you can do a break in procedure with new pads and have a properly functioning system. Ive done this many times in many vehicles.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Rotors

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors