C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Traction Control message and tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Traction Control message and tires

I recently purchased an 01 C5. Love the car. The "service traction control" light has been on since I purchased the car. I knew going into it. I check the codes and there where many. I reset the codes and the first 2 that came up were c12287 and c12288 which indicates the steering sensor is a problem.

The current tires are 285/40/18 and 255/45/17. This size change from stock has only a very slight difference in diameter stagger. I calculated the stock setup at .98" difference and the new at .94" difference.

I spoke with a trusted tire store and they said you need to get them back to stock size.

Agree or change the steering sensor first?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

That minimal difference between the stock sizes and what you have is not the issue.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 AM
epaignes
8th Gear

I've had my 2001 Z06 for nearly 2 trouble free years. Done various upgrades without hitch and I love the car...it's great. However, recently I have 2 codes recurring , C1288H and U1064H. They occur simultaneously. The driver info shows 'service vehicle and also active handling' messages.
I know that C1288H is a steering monitor issue. Am I correct in assuming that U1064H is coming up because of the fault there is a failure to communicate info? I've tried cycling the steering through about 50 cycles in an effort to 'clean' the monitor, but no joy.

Before I conduct 'major surgery' I have some questions. It was immediately before this issue that I fitted a B&M shifter. This of course required removal and disconnection of the active handling button and now (coincidently?) I have this problem. I've done the obvious and rechecked the connection to the button, but to no avail. Could it be this? Have I triggered something? Any bright ideas?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:26 AM
ace147
Advanced

You need a new steering sensor not hard to diy.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 AM
epaignes
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ace147
You need a new steering sensor not hard to diy.
Yes thanks for the response Ace 147. I was pretty sure that was the problem but raised the other points just in case I was missing a trick.

I've now fitted a new steering position sensor. Not technically challenging, but just a bit awkward. .......Road tested the car really hard and everything seems 100% perfect now. Phew!!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

Replacing the sensor did correct the problem. DYI is not that difficult, just takes some time to learn how thing come apart.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Traction Control message and tires

Quick Reply: Service Traction Control message and tires