C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride height increase after C6 Z06 shocks and fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:54 PM
miwitte
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ride height increase after C6 Z06 shocks and fix

So I installed the C6 Z06 shocks and C6 Z51 sways from Gene went on easy no issues. However the ride height was significantly higher the backs were sitting 3/4' higher at 28 3/4 in the back and almost 2 inches in the front at 29"! I finally got around to looking at things, one thing I read was that the swaybars need to be tightened and torqued with the full weight of the car on the control arms. I didn't see how it would matter but I was going to lower the bolts in the front and rear anyway so I loosen the end links and bushing clamps lowered the car onto jacks under the control arms to put the weight on both front and rear. I lowered the rear bolts all the way down as well on the bolts. On the front I noticed that the bushing between the front shock and the upper mounting point was significantly fatter than the stock.

Also if you look at how this bushing from the new Z06 shocks fits with the standard C5 upper bushing its evident it probably wont clamp correctly and could cause noise. I was able to tighten but in retrospect it probably wasn't making full contact with the cupped washer and the upper bushing

The Stock lower and upper bushing show here will clamp properly

Finally what I ran into was that it appears that the upper threads don't go down as far as the nut bottomed out before the bushing were compressed. I actually had to put some washers between the nut and the cupped washer on the top so I could tighten it without bottoming out on the end of the threads on the upper shock. My guess is that the stock C6 Z06 upper bushing is thicker as well so you can compress the bushings before you run out of threads. After all was said and done, the rear sits at 27 3/4" and front at 27 1/4" and it looks great rides great couldn't be happier on how it handles. My bushings were in pretty good shape I was thinking of cutting the Z06 ones thinner but the old ones were fine.

This is a picture of when I first got it it was lowered and the same height as it is now but the shocks were toast and the ride was horrible. I actually had to raise it back up so the ride was better. Now with it the same height it rides great. Ill post some current pics once it stops raining here.

Quick Reply: ride height increase after C6 Z06 shocks and fix