C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The C5 Owner's Manual says to check it hot a few minutes after engine shutdown. They also say to put an extra quart of oil in the engine if it's being used on the track. They also say that if the oil level is over the full mark, engine damage could occur. See the contradiction?
Not a contradiction at all, just different driving conditions requiring different amounts of oil.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by dklowrider
I do see what the other side is saying. If you read it hot it may show full. The same car will then read under full if you check it cold, and if you add oil at that point it will be over full when hot. But that applies only to someone that doesn't know where the level should be when cold, and I think that's their point.
It all depends on what the manufacturer calls for. Should it be at the full mark cold or hot. I have always held the belief that it's better to have the oil level a little low than a little high, so in this case at start-up it's a little low but at operating temps it's right on.
The best way to do this, is to check it hot, determine that it is full, then check it the next day cold. Now you know where the level should be when cold.
Different manufacturers give you different procedures for checking fluids, some cold some hot. John Deere tells you to run the engine in their backhoe for just a few minutes then check the trans fluid. It says it's ok if it reads over-full when hot.
Exactly my thinking too. I have found that the extra oil that drains back to the pan cold, is close to the amount of expansion in the oil when hot, so the levels should be about the same, cold or hot. I usually just check mine cold and set the level a little below full.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:58 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by racebum
how hard did you drive it?

that's usually the distinction that makes the difference
I drove that car harder than my 2001. And look at it this way, GM did not have ring problems on the LT1 like they did on the LS1.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:05 PM
brucemac64
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w30. every 4-5,000 miles low oil light comes on and I add a quart. Thought something was wrong but according to most people on the forum that's pretty normal.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:19 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Not a contradiction at all, just different driving conditions requiring different amounts of oil.
It is a somewhat a contradiction, because if you put a full extra quart in the car (now it will be a full quart above the F mark), you can't be driving the car 100% of the time at track conditions. There will be times, even at the track, where you are driving it "normally".
Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dklowrider
So if you put in an extra quart for tracking are you supposed to drain it out to drive home or do they assume you're on a trailer.
Yes, they expect you to drain the extra quart out ... if it's still there. Could be most of it gets burned up or sucked down the intake through the PCV system during the "track event".
Old 12-23-2013, 04:27 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Exactly my thinking too. I have found that the extra oil that drains back to the pan cold, is close to the amount of expansion in the oil when hot, so the levels should be about the same, cold or hot. I usually just check mine cold and set the level a little below full.
I've been checking cold vs. hot oil level for 12 years on my '02 Z06, and the hot level is always a little higher hot vs. cold. The oil level is about 0.8~1.0 division higher on the dipstick hot vs. cold. That represents ~1/6 quart, or ~5 oz.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:27 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LAvetteman
I drove that car harder than my 2001. And look at it this way, GM did not have ring problems on the LT1 like they did on the LS1.
ring design is different. gm used a low tension barrel shaped race ring on the 01 ls6. conventional scraper rings have more of a knife edge

the lt1 is also a cast iron block, the ls1 is sleeved. if the sleeves shift or are out of round in the slightest it can cause oil burning.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by racebum
ring design is different. gm used a low tension barrel shaped race ring on the 01 ls6. conventional scraper rings have more of a knife edge

the lt1 is also a cast iron block, the ls1 is sleeved. if the sleeves shift or are out of round in the slightest it can cause oil burning.

Garbage........Good Job GM!!!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 AM
00Coupe
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed the "fixed orifice" pcv

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Anyone know what's different about the 2004 LS6 valley cover except for the fixed orifice in the PCV hose nipple? You can buy a PCV valve body that has no guts, and just the fixed orifice in it if you want to go that route on a pre-2004 LS6.
I just installed this yesterday as my 00 LS1 uses about a quart every 3000.

The hoses were oil soaked and had to be replaced anyway - so I thought I would give this pcv a try after reading extensively about it here and in truck forums.

I daily drive it and don't run it too hard - but it does see WOT several times a week.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited by 00Coupe; 01-03-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2015, 10:11 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Coupe
I just installed this yesterday as my 00 LS1 uses about a quart every 3000.

The hoses were oil soaked and had to be replaced anyway - so I thought I would give this pcv a try after reading extensively about it here and in truck forums.

I daily drive it and don't run it too hard - but it does see WOT several times a week.

I will keep you posted.
I would suspect this won't change your oil consumption. More importantly, you want to prevent this oil from going into your intake, which is what most track guys put a small catch can on the PCV line (and many vendors make them). I have an 04 valley cover and get about a half quart or so via my PCV into my catch can during a typical track session (one session - not the whole day).

Adding a little to the comments above about running a quart over for track events though this thread is about a year old. A lot of the oil stays up in the heads during high g corners. The drain ports back to the pan are on the bottom inside of the heads. During cornering at 1+ G on good track tires, the oil will be pushed to the outside of the head on the outside head (passenger side for a left turn) and won't drain down until you turn the opposite direction. Track guys get a lot of oil into the intake via the vent on the passenger side valve cover on left hand corners that goes back into the intake due to this effect.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 01-04-2015, 12:01 AM
00Coupe
8th Gear

Originally Posted by C66 Racing
I would suspect this won't change your oil consumption. More importantly, you want to prevent this oil from going into your intake, which is what most track guys put a small catch can on the PCV line (and many vendors make them). I have an 04 valley cover and get about a half quart or so via my PCV into my catch can during a typical track session (one session - not the whole day).

Adding a little to the comments above about running a quart over for track events though this thread is about a year old. A lot of the oil stays up in the heads during high g corners. The drain ports back to the pan are on the bottom inside of the heads. During cornering at 1+ G on good track tires, the oil will be pushed to the outside of the head on the outside head (passenger side for a left turn) and won't drain down until you turn the opposite direction. Track guys get a lot of oil into the intake via the vent on the passenger side valve cover on left hand corners that goes back into the intake due to this effect.
You're probably right - but I have seen a number of posts on this forum and others asking if anyone has actually tried it - and I am also curious. So for $6 I am trying it. I don't run my car on the track but I agree I will likely put a catch can on after this experiment
Old 02-26-2015, 06:35 AM
00Coupe
8th Gear

Default Fixed Orifice PCV

Originally Posted by C66 Racing

UPDATE:
Well after a almost 2 months of testing, this is what I found. This PCV does curb oil consumption somewhat. But as C66 Racing pointed out it does still allow oil into the intake. And, yes, I added a catch can. Initially mounted to the engine, but I was still pulling oil. I then read about the heat in the can not allowing the oil vapor to separate - which is 100% correct. So I mounted my catch can to the front frame all the way up front. I also added a coalescing filter after the can (because I didn't buy an expensive can). This works perfectly. No oil reaches my intake and the can has pulled out oil, water, and other garbage - exactly as it is designed to do. I am still running the 04 fixed orifice PCV as I think the engine idles better with this part.

Thanks to everyone on this forum. It is loaded with invaluable information.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

The links to the TSB's that ZeeO6 posted are dead....
Old 02-26-2015, 09:45 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Never had the problem with my '98. Occasionally I may need to top up between changes, but not always - and no, it does not get babied. Just plain old M1, though at the last change I went to the high mileage variant, reputed to have a better additive package.

Quick Reply: C5 Oil Consumption