C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to help, Hinson motor mount install.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 PM
94ltz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trying to help, Hinson motor mount install.

I did some searching and found people doing it different ways from lowing the cradle to removing the headers (Exhaust manifolds) to remove the mount still connected to the plate. Those ways work but I went head and did what I thought was easiest so I hope this helps some one.

Car- 2003 Z06 with Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes.

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Get the front of the car in the air with ramps or jack stands. (if using jack stands you may have to play with them later on in the stall)
3. Disconnect H-pipe from headers.
4. Remove both 18mm bolts top and bottom on motor mounts.
5. Starting with the driver side go ahead and disconnect the wiring from the back of the alternator and go ahead and jack up the driver side of the engine enough to relieve the pressure on the mount.
6. Remove the 3 13mm bolts holding the mount bracket from the engine, 2 can be removed from the top and one from the bottom.
7. You can now move the bracket toward the front and snake the engine mount between the alternator and the header.
8. Go ahead the put the new Hinson lowering motor mount in place and reinstall the bracket to the block but do not tighten the 18mm bolts and lower engine.
9. Passenger side, you will need to drop the headers down so go through the steps of unbolting the air tube, plugs and wires and dip stick tube so you can lower the header in the car.
10. With the 18mm bolts removed go ahead and jack the passenger side of the engine up and remove all 3 13mm bolts from the top
11. What makes this side different is you will need to remove the bracket with some trickery between the header and the A/C compressor.
12. Go ahead and remove the stock mount the install the other Hinson mount and reinstall the bracket to the block and lower the engine back down.
13. Now here is where depending on using ramps and jack stands can be different. On this car it has been lowered and at this time the engine was actually being supported on the front leaf spring so I had to jack the car back up and put the jack stand under the lower control arms to load the suspension and then tighten up the 18mm bolts top and bottom.
14. At this time you can go ahead and rehang the passenger header, oil dip stick tube, plugs, wires, wiring on back of alternator and H-Pipe. After double checking everything is tight and hooked back up go ahead and hook the battery back up and go enjoy your car.

I had to install these on this car due to installing a FAST 102 intake manifold.

Hope this helps some people.

I am not liable for any damage done to any car using this guide to install motor mounts. Use this as a guide and work on your car at your own risk.

Last edited by 94ltz; 12-22-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:04 AM
tungstenfoot
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am installing headers at the same time as the Hinson motor mounts. The rear is up on jackstands and the front up on ramps. my manifolds are out too.
But yes people, this is the way to install the mounts: remove the engine mount brackets from the block! Why work around them, only 3 bolts each...There is absolutely no need to drop the cradle or dismantle the suspension. I was dreading this install and this method made it super easy. happy wrenching

Last edited by tungstenfoot; 11-09-2014 at 06:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
94ltz (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:11 PM
94ltz
Racer

I've got an couple PM's thanking me for this write up so I figured I would bump it again to help.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 PM
tungstenfoot
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Motor mount install help bump
Old 06-18-2016, 10:06 AM
94ltz
Racer

More thanks came my way so time for a bump haha.
The following users liked this post:
Greg_E (05-27-2017)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:00 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Nice write up.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:10 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Subscribed for later use.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:47 PM
HT99
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Big Thank you to LTZ for this write up!

I'm installing headers and decided it was worth changing the motor mounts while the original manifolds were out. I followed the instructions and removal/install went smooth. I found it helpful to have a wobble extension so you can use several angles to remove the bracket bolts.

This procedure saved me a ton of work.

Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Since this isn't QUITE a year old, perhaps I can be forgiven for the revival.

I've got a set of replacement mounts on the way and plan on doing this very soon. My question is regarding header gasket reuse and what sort of sealant to use on the header bolts when reinstalling them. My car is an '04Z with 110K miles on it.

So would the masses recommend new gaskets for the headers since they need to be removed? And again, what particular sealer for the bolts??

Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to help, Hinson motor mount install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to help, Hinson motor mount install.