C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About clamp type to Fuse Relay Center

Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 AM
ZeroGravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About clamp type to Fuse Relay Center

Hello everyone

There is a standard mechanical passenger seat at my 99 Vette.
I got powered sport type at junkyard and want to install them.
I found specific contacts in the fuse block but I don't know what type of clamps crimp the wires. And need your advice.

Of course, you can simply plug in the wire and pour sealant. But I want that all was right.

PS By the way, how to pull clamps of the fuse module? I tried to do it with flat screwdriver but failed.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

If you can obtain the connector ID number, your local Chevy parts department should be able to determine the terminal ID number. You can crimp the terminal with pliers or purchase a special terminal crimp tool.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Not sure what you really need (clamp tool, actual pin size/style, etc.). I have an option for you. In the passenger foot well there should be 3 auxiliary power wires.

Orange wire taped off. Always powered from Fuse #7 (20 Amp). This Fuse/wire is shared with the cigarette lighter.

Orange wire to a connector. Always powered from Fuse #1 (20 Amp). Wire not shared with anything.

Yellow wire taped off. Powered from ignition switch when "On". Powered from Fuse #11 (20 Amp). Not shared with anything.

Here is a link with more info and pictures:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=14632

PS: Since the normal seat controls use a 20 Amp circuit breaker and the Lumber uses a 15 Amp fuse the above sources should do fine. You could use one of them if you don't try to use seat controls and Lumbar at the same time. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by dadaroo; 01-09-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 AM
ZeroGravity
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Not sure what you really need (clamp tool, actual pin size/style, etc.). I have an option for you. In the passenger foot well there should be 3 auxiliary power wires.
Thank you for info.
Maybe I'll just do such if I can't find another solution.

I apologize for misunderstanding sometimes. Still English is not my native language.

In general, I studied the fuse blocks in passanger legs at two Corvettes with electric passenger seat and without. Fuse boxes are one to one. Even 20-amp fuse for a passenger seat at no-power seat version. Only difference - no wires to the plug for a passenger seat. If you insert wires by analogy as shown on the picture with arrows, the seat connector become working.

Now wires just stuck and not crimped. Because I don't know what kind of terminals to use.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I now know exactly what you need. You need the pins that go on the end of the wire that goes into the fuse box. I will try and help to find out if they are male or female and what size and style they are. There actually may be more than one size. A friend owns a Chevrolet dealership so I will see if he can help. How many do you need/want?

I recommend you use my info so the seat works while I try and get you the pins you need.

Last edited by dadaroo; 01-10-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

I now know exactly what you need. You need the pins that go on the end of the wire that goes into the fuse box. I will try and help to find out if they are male or female and what size and style they are. There actually may be more than one size. A friend owns a Chevrolet dealership so I will see if he can help. How many do you need/want?

I recommend you use my info so the seat works while I try and get you the pins you need.
The connector under the fuse panel should come out, the terminals for the mini fuses should all be the same. May be different going to the maxi fuses. If you can get the terminal ID # one could probably find some pigtails on the internet.

Last edited by n8dogg; 01-10-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

No help at the dealer like I thought. Nothing to that level of detail. Unless we can figure out the correct pins for your 2 locations then you would need to get a used connector and then remove the correct pins/wires. You could then cut them and solder your seat wires to that and then insert them.

At this point I would just use the auxiliary power sources I provided.

PS: Do not know how the pins are removed from the fuse box connectors. I have removed pins from other C5 connectors but I don't know if the fuse box connector pins are similar or not. I have a pin removal tool with about 8 or so different types/styles. All the ones I have removed were simple and they only had one raised "prong" or lever to depress. If you want a link to a video of removing the pins I have done let me know.

Also, don't worry about your English, it is plenty good enough for us to understand. We may just need to work thru some things but communication should be fine. I have friends who speak Russian if we need it.

Last edited by dadaroo; 01-10-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM
sunchaser73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dadaroo...have you looked at the selection of pins that EFI Connection carries? May find what the OP needs from them. I have some pins for the PCM...I'll check to see if they'll work for the OP once I'm home this weekend...
Old 01-10-2014, 09:49 PM
ComplianceParts
Supporting Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 1 Post

C5 underhood fuse blocks use "tangless" Delphi Metri-Pack 280 female terminals. Delphi part numbers like 12129424, 12129663. Easy to get in the US, but might be kind of hard to find near you...

To remove the connector - unscrew the captive center screw of that connector until it's loose and spins freely. Insert a screwdriver between the connector and the fuse panel body and pry the connector out a little. Once the little plastic tabs disengage, repeat at another side of the connector. Gently keeping pressure on the wire bundle will help.

To remove the terminals - First remove the blue plastic clip from the side of the connector using a screwdriver between the clip and fuse panel.

Then, from the terminal side, insert a small screwdriver, dental pick, etc., between the terminal and the little plastic tab that presses against the metal terminal. Pry the plastic tab away from the terminal and pull the wire out the back. Reverse the steps to install.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Thanks for that information, it gives me a start. If I can get some and ship them to him and hopefully they will work. If not I can try for other sizes.

BTW, really like your LMC5 device and have recommended it to many many people.

PS: Would you share the connector pin number for the small ones used with the LMC5? In helping a couple of folks recently we have found some ones damaged from either the factory or previous work. None related to the LMC5 install but at other locations on the car like the IPC. Thanks

Last edited by dadaroo; 01-11-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

ZeroGravity, I have found some sources for what you need. Can you measure or approximate the blade width in millimeters that you need? The blade is what will be sticking into the connectors I get. The above 2 part numbers show a blade size of 2.8 millimeters. The only difference between the 2 are the wire size they are designed for. To get you the best match can you also tell me the wire diameter sizes you need? Here is a link to the specification for one so you can see what they look like. Let me know if you have any questions. I don't mind getting more than one size.

http://delphi.com/connectors/product...24?partner=PSG
Old 01-12-2014, 01:17 PM
ComplianceParts
Supporting Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 1 Post

BTW, really like your LMC5 device and have recommended it to many many people.
Thanks!!!!

PS: Would you share the connector pin number for the small ones used with the LMC5? In helping a couple of folks recently we have found some ones damaged from either the factory or previous work. None related to the LMC5 install but at other locations on the car like the IPC. Thanks
The BCM and IPC connectors use Delphi Micro-Pack 100 series female terminals. The most common part number is 12146447. Good for most IPC, BCM and other ~ 20-22 gauge wires. Mouser Electronics is the best source for small quantities.

Delphi also has 100W series terminals. They are NOT the same, so watch for that W.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 AM
ZeroGravity
Instructor

Thanks a lot guys. You are the best! In this thread I found all answers for all my questions!

I found these terminals for two bottles of beer here in Russia =)
At official GM service. It is not like yours GM service. Here are only ex-Korean junk like "Chevrolet" Cruze and "Chevrolet" Lanos and Opel cars.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

That is great to hear. Please post to let us know how it works when you are finished. We are always here to help. Moscow is not exactly the easiest place to own a C5, but better than the North Pole.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 AM
ZeroGravity
Instructor

In this weakend I gonna finnish my seat swap.

Than I will write a detailed report about it.

Get notified of new replies

To About clamp type to Fuse Relay Center

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About clamp type to Fuse Relay Center