C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why the push to solid valves and dual springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:28 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default why the push to solid valves and dual springs?

I'm in the middle of research for heads and cam setups for my ls6 and I keep on seeing head vendors using valve-trains heavier than stock like Solid Valves, Dual springs.

I understand for certain cams specs its necessary to go to duals. But it seems to be go to everyone become burnt on beehive springs (ls6 issues and early comp cams 918)?

What about all this heavy solid valve stuff? I even see the ls7 guys getting pushed to get rid of their Ti valves.

Why would GM go to trouble to put the $ into creating a lighter valve-train unless it help performance or reliability?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GM goes through the trouble of saving money and using the same parts for as many vehicles as possible
Old 01-17-2014, 12:18 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Solid valves are stronger, and dual springs are worlds better than regular beehives.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dagon138
I'm in the middle of research for heads and cam setups for my ls6 and I keep on seeing head vendors using valve-trains heavier than stock like Solid Valves, Dual springs.

I understand for certain cams specs its necessary to go to duals. But it seems to be go to everyone become burnt on beehive springs (ls6 issues and early comp cams 918)?

What about all this heavy solid valve stuff? I even see the ls7 guys getting pushed to get rid of their Ti valves.

Why would GM go to trouble to put the $ into creating a lighter valve-train unless it help performance or reliability?
The ls7 guys have become fearful of the exhaust valves dropping which probably explains position. It really depends on goals. I think (don't quote me on this, but I can check with the engineers) that there are some dynamic advantages to a single beehive spring.

Pfadt Race Engineering
888-972-2464
info@pfadtracing.com

Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure what cam you plan to use, but if I were in your shoes I would have someone very reputable (AI comes to mind) work you 243's and keep the stock valves. Then I would personally install PSI 1500ML and shim accordingly depending on total lift. IMO, the only reason to go to solid valves with your heads is if you went larger. But I would prefer very light with beehives and the largest OD pushrod I could fit.

Get notified of new replies

To why the push to solid valves and dual springs?

Quick Reply: why the push to solid valves and dual springs?