C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor damage from loss of oil - how long before it shows?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Motor damage from loss of oil - how long before it shows?

Any way to check before paying for track day? Accumsump busted and dumped all my oil. Drove about 100 yds with zero oil pressure. Have driven about 100 mi since and it seems to be doing OK, no unusual sounds etc. How many miles before I can cut up oil filter and look for metal? Any other things to check? Motor is a forged aluminum LS2 if that matters.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

As long as you weren't running it hard, it's probably just fine. It's a benefit of running Mobil one! Is your oil pressure the same as it was before?
Old 02-09-2014, 03:14 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Any way to check before paying for track day? Accumsump busted and dumped all my oil. Drove about 100 yds with zero oil pressure. Have driven about 100 mi since and it seems to be doing OK, no unusual sounds etc. How many miles before I can cut up oil filter and look for metal? Any other things to check? Motor is a forged aluminum LS2 if that matters.
Remove just the filter and put a new filter on and top off the oil level if you want to cut it open now. 100 miles since the incident is plenty of miles for the filter to catch anything that might have been a result of the oil loss.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:22 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Remove just the filter and put a new filter on and top off the oil level if you want to cut it open now. 100 miles since the incident is plenty of miles for the filter to catch anything that might have been a result of the oil loss.
You definitely would have known by now. Sounds like you got lucky on this one.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:18 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

If you really want to go crazy, you can do an oil analysis. This will tell you if you are CURRENTLY making any metal. Costs about $25 from Blackstone Labs.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if it's not knocking or idling weird you're probably fine. it's possible you added some wear to the rings and bearings but that's about all

maybe 5,000-10,000 miles of driving in 100yds as a wild *** guess. a little metal on metal contact, not under load isn't going to destroy anything. or, if it had, you would know it

i agree on cutting open the filter and spending $25 at blackstone for an oil analysis

it's possible virtually no damage was done

google blackstone oil labs and send them a sample

if you were really concerned about the rings you could do a cylinder leakdown test, oil pressure would show you the health of the bearings
Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't think about doing an oil sample analysis. Actually had last Blackstone sample done last summer, so I have 2 reports to compare to. Will probably do the oil filter thing just for peace of mind.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Motor damage from loss of oil - how long before it shows?

Quick Reply: Motor damage from loss of oil - how long before it shows?