C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 02:04 AM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers.

Well the saga is finally complete. The install went without a hitch and the fit and finish is excellent. Headers have been on for almost a month now and no leaks or problems at all.

I had them installed and here are the pre dyno numbers. The only mods I have are a Blackwing and a carbon fiber airbridge. The airbridge is really only for looks.

Max Power 334.6@5800 RPM
Max Torque 333.9@4700 RPM

I took the car home and it felt like it had more power but my ATAP reading were showing positive LTFT's in the 10-15 range which is not ideal for power. Despite the rich conditions it dynoed today (3 weeks later) at,

Max Power 346.8@5900 RPM
Max Torque 344.2@4300 RPM

This is a difference of 12.2 HP and 10.9 lbs of torque. Not bad considering the fuel was all out of whack.

After that run they used LS1 edit to level out the trims the results are as follows.

Max Power 356.60@5900 RPM
Max Torque 350.10@4900 RPM

Which is an increase of,
22HP
16.2 TQ

These are peak numbers but they show this gain from ~3K (where the test began) all the way to redline. I am really pleased with this result especially since I have a Z06. The Z's routinely makes less HP numbers than the LS1's not only with header mods but intakes, exhaust etc. I'd bet money an LS1 would benefit even more. Another thing to note is the runs were done on a Mustang dyno and all at the same location.

If anyone is interested in these headers, Stainlessworks can be contacted at http://www.stainlessworks.net They are also a generous sponsor of the Canamcaravan as well. I plan to scan the dyno sheets at work on Monday but thought I'd report tonight.

Any questions ask away.

Joe

[Modified by CRUZMISL, 8:52 PM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 05:09 AM
NastyC5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (CRUZMISL)

Congrats on the results :cheers:
This makes it even harder to decide which long tubes to go with :crazy:
Old 07-14-2002, 09:23 AM
Smoke-N-Shot
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (CRUZMISL)

Congrats on the install... Has the sound on the exhaust tone at all? Deeper etc?
Old 07-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Congrats, Joe! :cheers: Looks like the research and work finally paid off. Those are excellent gains and consistent with what you'd expect - very positive. Those headers do look extremely nice. Any pics yet - would love to see them installed.

I haven't dyno'ed after my FLP install yet but hope to get similar results.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:30 AM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (Smoke-N-Shot)

The sound has definitely changed for the better. Not deeper just more aggressive. No resonance anywhere in the rpm range.

BTW they don't come white from Stainlessworks. I had them coated by Swaintech. I am still deciding if it was worth the expense. Since the headers are stainless steel, they will not corrode and they hold much more heat in than mild steel headers. Probably overkill but I did it anyway. Jet hott is not even in the same league as this coating though. Jet hot is more of a high temp paint than a true ceramic coating and doesn't control temperature nearly as well.

Joe

[Modified by CRUZMISL, 9:46 AM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 10:58 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Wow! Very clean install. How are the collectors attached to the cats? In the pics, it looks like they were swaged. Clearance looks good too.

I got a similar sound improvement as well. It's a cleaner, crisper tone.

How delicate is the Swaintech coating? Can you tell if there's a noticeable drop in radiated heat to the engine bay compared to other coated headers?

Ed

[Modified by Patches, 9:59 AM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 11:07 AM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (Patches)

The collectors are attached to the cats via a slip fit connector which is welded on and a stainless band clamp is used to secure them.

The swaintech coating is strange. It feels like 400 grit sandpaper and has the appearance of spray welding. I Actually think it is sprayed on molten then solidifies on the headers. It is very thick and durable. How much heat is reduced?? I don't have any idea.

Joe
Old 07-14-2002, 10:00 PM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

I added the dyno sheets to the original post. If you want full res images let me know.

I hope this helps some people make their decision.

Joe
Old 07-14-2002, 11:11 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

Did APE install them for you, or did they just do the dyno?

Could you tell me what the install cost, and how long it took? Also, what did they charge you for tuning?

Great results on the headers, BTW. It's good to see the difference tuning can make. Several people have posted really low gains after LT headers, but they never got the car tuned, and didn't have AFR recorded. This seems to corroborate my theory that tuning was the reason. It'd be awesome if you could post air-fuel ratios for the runs, to see how adding headers changed the AFR, before the car was tuned.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

BTW they don't come white from Stainlessworks. I had them coated by Swaintech. I am still deciding if it was worth the expense. Since the headers are stainless steel, they will not corrode and they hold much more heat in than mild steel headers. Probably overkill but I did it anyway. Jet hott is not even in the same league as this coating though. Jet hot is more of a high temp paint than a true ceramic coating and doesn't control temperature nearly as well.
I forgot to ask, what did the coating cost you? Swaintech lists header coating as 225-275, but I'm curious if you had to pay for shipping to and from them, or if stainlessworks got them coated for you.

Thanks again,
Miles
Old 07-15-2002, 12:06 AM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (Miles in Michigan)

Miles, APE did the install and if I recall it was around $400 and took them 6 hours. The tuning ran another $400 but I can go back for "tweaks" anytime I want.The Swaintech coating was $250 and only $15 to ship them via UPS ground. Again the coating wasn't necessary I just have this disease that forces me to spend money :)

Tuning is important especially when you get into these mods. Especially in the Z06's the puter is so tight it doesn't allow much gains by simple bolt ons. Now you have to think of a bolt on like the old days with carbs. The computer will simply not adjust for it as the parameters are not there. The LS1's are much more forgiving but could still benefit.

Joe
Old 07-15-2002, 12:44 AM
Road Warrior
Burning Brakes

CI 3, 4, 5, 6 & 10 Veteran

Congrats Joe! :cheers: I'm glad it all worked out for you and thanks for letting me tag along for the dyno tune. Now let's get out to the track and see what kind of times it'll run. :D

Mike
Old 07-15-2002, 01:06 AM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (Road Warrior)

Now let's get out to the track and see what kind of times it'll run. :D

Mike
Who knows, but as long as it runs 12.69 I'll be a happy motherF$*k#r! :lol:
Old 07-15-2002, 01:18 AM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Great gains, gotta love the tuning ;) :cheers:
Old 07-15-2002, 01:31 AM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (The DBK)

Who knows, but as long as it runs 12.69 I'll be a happy motherF$*k#r! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-15-2002, 10:33 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Congrats on the great results Joe!! :cheers: :cheers:

Would anyone be interested in a GP on these??
Old 07-15-2002, 01:06 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (MattG)

Sure. Especially if they are coated.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers.

Old 07-15-2002, 01:43 PM
CJS
Melting Slicks

CRUZMISL, did the headers add any now louder, but normal engine noises or excessive heat to come into the cabin? In other words what are the downside differences on this mod?
Old 07-15-2002, 01:53 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (MattG)

Congrats on the great results Joe!! :cheers: :cheers:

I would, after the Can Am especially.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:32 PM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers. (The DBK)

I'd have to saty that there is more mechanical noise because the stock cast manifolds keep a lot of it in but it is not even noticeable now. It is typically at idle outside the car standing next to it. Inside at idle it is the same a sstock, no difference. Cruising it is a bit more aggressive but nothing too crazy. I actually think it sounds more exotic.

As afr as heat absolutely no issues there either. TO sum up I'd say for all intents and purposes they don't exist except when you are at WOT they are a bit louder however zero resonance inside the car.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Quick Reply: 2001 Z06 and Stainlessworks header install and dyno numbers.