C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive line Shake and rattle when depressing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 PM
weekendracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive line Shake and rattle when depressing clutch

Hi, I just got a 03 Z06 a little over a month ago. I bought it from California after having it inspected by a 3rd party. I was not all that happy with how much the inspection missed but I still love the Z.

I test drove a few by me before deciding to find one elsewhere with lower miles (51k on the one I bought).

The problem:

After driving it around a while I notice a drive like shake and rattle. I now notice it is mainly in parking lots while driving somewhat slow when I depress the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear. It feels like when the load of the motor is removed by depressing the clutch the transmission shakes a bit. I am assuming there are bad bushings somewhere?

I tried to search and Could not find anything about it. Is this a common problem, is it normal?

It might even be while coasting in 1st then depressing the clutch so the driveline is being torqued in the reverse direction with engine breaking...?

Thanks in advance for all responses.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:58 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by weekendracer
Hi, I just got a 03 Z06 a little over a month ago. I bought it from California after having it inspected by a 3rd party. I was not all that happy with how much the inspection missed but I still love the Z.

I test drove a few by me before deciding to find one elsewhere with lower miles (51k on the one I bought).

The problem:

After driving it around a while I notice a drive like shake and rattle. I now notice it is mainly in parking lots while driving somewhat slow when I depress the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear. It feels like when the load of the motor is removed by depressing the clutch the transmission shakes a bit. I am assuming there are bad bushings somewhere?

I tried to search and Could not find anything about it. Is this a common problem, is it normal?

It might even be while coasting in 1st then depressing the clutch so the driveline is being torqued in the reverse direction with engine breaking...?

Thanks in advance for all responses.
We all get a little rattle noise which is normal, but shaking and vibration, thats not normal.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Lmoyers
Intermediate

I also get a small amount of rattle but it almost seems like it is dependent on whether or not the car is warmed up properly before I start driving (especially when it is freezing Temps outsode) so I'm interested to see what people think.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 PM
weekendracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andrec10
We all get a little rattle noise which is normal, but shaking and vibration, thats not normal.
Yeah, I am not so sure there really is much of a shake I can just mentally see what is happening as I press the clutch fast and the pressure is realized and I get a little rattle from back back the transmission... Just a disconcerting sound really that just seems like a looseness or sloppiness somewhere in the drive line. I was just assuming probably a bad bushing, or something that just happens with age on the c5.

More curious as to what causes it and is it something I need to address before autocrossing. and well If I don't get anything definitive and nothing happens great. If something back there does give out at the track one day, well I guess I will try and keep the thread going if it is just a typical noise.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:44 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Link

Check out post 11.

Turning off the rev matching and using the clutch to slow the car a few times cleaned mine up and it is smooth again.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:41 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chev
Link

Check out post 11.

Turning off the rev matching and using the clutch to slow the car a few times cleaned mine up and it is smooth again.
This is a 5 year old thread in the C5 forum. There is no rev-matching here.

Who knows if OP ever got to the bottom of it, but I would've investigated the transmission bushing before digging into the driveline.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

C5s have manual rev matching. Pfadt used to make an adjustable brace that stabilized the drivetrain.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
This is a 5 year old thread in the C5 forum. There is no rev-matching here.

Who knows if OP ever got to the bottom of it, but I would've investigated the transmission bushing before digging into the driveline.

Ohh the old related thread "feature:" at the bottom of the page got me.

I need to see about turning that off. It rarely helps out.

Get notified of new replies

To Drive line Shake and rattle when depressing clutch

Quick Reply: Drive line Shake and rattle when depressing clutch