C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust choice to tame down cam lope

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 AM
torchvette10
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exhaust choice to tame down cam lope

Hi guys,

I know that most of you must love the cam lope sound, I did as well but I just don't like it as much anymore. I'd like to have a car that sounds a little more stealth with a smoother idle.

I have a built 408ci, I have tried the bone stock exhaust. I really did not like it as the idle was horrible and as the exhaust is very quiet I had that sewing machine sound from the valvetrain while cruising. Did not like that.

I tried a set of B&B Bullet, they were loud as hell, however I couldn't hear the cam lope, the sound was much smoother. So I can they they partially delivered what I was looking for but in a very loud way lol I had to remove them as I did not like to look on my neighboors faces

I now run a GHL Bullet exhaust. It is not too loud, I really like it, but it still has that loppy idle that I would like to get rid of.

If any of you has heads/cam or built motor and an exhaust that could meet my criterias don't hesitate to chime in. I am thinking about Magnaflows??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by torchvette10; 05-11-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:02 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

How big is the cam?
Anyway, there are adjustments that can be made to the tune to mellow the idle a bit.
Airflow, timing and idle speed.
Ask your tuner ?

Ron
Old 05-11-2014, 02:23 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I had magnaflows on a c6. The drone was horrible. They sounded great when I had my foot in it, but cruising was bad. I removed them after 3weeks.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:18 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

when you said stock exhaust did you mean stock ls1 exhaust or Z06? the Tis.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM
torchvette10
Drifting

The cam is a 238/242 on 115+3 LSA
By stock exhaust I meant LS1. I never had a chance to try the Z06 Ti. I have only seen vids on youtube and they seem to sound like a motorboat with a cam, a bit like the corsa. That's exactly what I want to avoid. However I also know that it is always better to hear it in person. Unfortunatly there is no way for me to hear it around here

The only thing I don't like about the GHL is the sound at idle. However the car runs great at idle, very stable. The idle is set at 900 rpms. So I wouldn't think that tuning it would change much. I am sure it could be helpful if the car idled really badly. I heard some H/C cars that almost stall when at idle, that that's poor tuning
Old 05-12-2014, 12:48 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

i have B&B TriFlows, and they have a stock-ish sound to them without any drone. only slightly louder than factory LS1 mufflers with a deeper tone. the tips (rounded rectangles) look much better, too. granted i ain't done a cam yet, but i've got a TVS & ARH 1 7/8" LTs with dual 3" mids necked down to a 2.5" axle-back. i kept these mufflers for the interstate & coming home at night - the cutouts are for racing & mountain runs.

here's a google pic (no good ones of my own)
Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM
torchvette10
Drifting

Thanks for your input Zebra. However I can tell you that a cam radically changes the sound of the car. I heard GHLs (the same as mine) on an almost stock car, and it's totally different on mine.
They only exhaust I will be able to try around here without buying will be the magnflow. I will do it and see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes, if it can help anyone looking to tame that cam sound
Old 05-12-2014, 04:22 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

A new catback won't change the lope of your cam, only raising the idle speed, and fine tuning will that. That's a big cam, but should only have a bit of a lope on a 408. Other catbacks just change the sound tone, and overall volume level.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust choice to tame down cam lope

Quick Reply: Exhaust choice to tame down cam lope