C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idler Pulley different in 1998 model year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 PM
1991RallySport
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idler Pulley different in 1998 model year?

Hello. New to the forums & new to Corvettes. I just purchased a 1998 coupe & have run into a weird issue.

After I bought the car the belts began to squeal & chirp horribly. I took the car to NTB & had all the belts replaced. Unfortunately I was told the idler pulley was bad & had lot of play in it. Using the vin they ordered a new one. However, when it arrived it doesn't fit at all. They're dumbfounded & believe it could have different engine that it originally came with. The Carfax I received when I bought it doesn't confirm a engine swap. But either way using the vin returns a part that doesn't fit. I guess what I'm asking is there any difference between the idler pulleys on the '98s? Is there two different parts numbers? NTB suggested I take it to a Chevy dealership to inspect it & tell me what part to order. I don't see this being a cheap request.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:39 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

check rock auto, those pulleys are simply to replace, like 10 minutes in the driveway easy
Old 07-19-2014, 08:50 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

My parts book shows the larger belt tensioner was the same P/N from 97-00. The smaller belt A/C tensioner shows the same from 97-01.

Maybe they ordered the wrong one since the 2 above tensioners are different.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Got mine fron Advance or Auto Zone needed to add a washer

I got a new idler pulley from either Adv or AZ and when I tightened the bolt the pulley contacted the mount and would not turn. Fixed this by adding a small washer between the pulley and the mount. Used the original dust cover also. Mine is a 98 vert. Maybe all you need is a washer.

Get notified of new replies

To Idler Pulley different in 1998 model year?

Quick Reply: Idler Pulley different in 1998 model year?