C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 FRC 169k mi. Electrical gremlin- lights flickering/ dimming

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 AM
nemean
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 FRC 169k mi. Electrical gremlin- lights flickering/ dimming

Good morning gentlemen!

So, last week put my radio (aftermarket) back in the car temporarily.. Well when I hit the blinker the radio reset like it lost power... Then I noticed that the headlights don't just come right up anymore... I have to turn the switch a few times to get then to come up... It also dims the headlights when I hit the brakes... The lights also slowly flicker.

This car has a leak somewhere that has let moisture get in since I've had it. I believe is through the bottom of the windshield, but I haven't quite found it yet. I was thinking maybe the alternator was going out or something, because the car starts right up. But I know these cars have some beastly demons when you talk about their wiring.

I was going to take it to have the alternator checked today- though it shows no other signs of regulator problems. Also thought I'd check the main ground points for corrosion.

Any helpful "yeah, that happened to me" or "try this" would be great. I did some googling and there were issues kind of like these, but never all in the same car.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Need to pull your DIC codes to see what is there.

Also, look around the passenger fuse box and BCM t osee if you have moisture there. That can cause havoc with the fuse box and with the BCM and in some cases damage the BCM.

Let us know if you need help pulling the codes from the dash. I have good video link at home.

Quick Reply: 1999 FRC 169k mi. Electrical gremlin- lights flickering/ dimming