C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 402 stroker surprise surprise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:23 PM
ZO6DRIVER
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZZO6 Are you getting any Warranty with your Build?!?
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6DRIVER
ZZO6 Are you getting any Warranty with your Build?!?
The motor is from TSP which are very reputable but i dont think so because they are not the ones actually placing it in the vehicle. The shop has done many strokers in vettes. But as you can see, crazy things do happen
Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ06
oh man im sorry to hear this. I really hope you and your builder come to an agreement. Seeing things like this make me sick. I have a 418ci LS3 waiting to be installed and stories like these turn my stomach.
I think at the moment with the conversations we've had, it might work out, i have no doubt something is coming out of my pockets if i fix this motor , But builder and i have done over 17k worth of work on 2 of my cars . Talk about sick ,, i bought the car 1.5 yrs ago ,, the 408 let go after 2500 miles, it took almost 5 months to get the 402 motor built and back in the car at a cost of 8k , ive had the car back about 4 months and 1000 miles ,, Here i am again,,
Old 09-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Ive read several horror stories of the crank having to much end play and taking out the thrust bearings, i cant wait to see what the oil pan off shows, Can you disconnect the rods from under the motor and tell if the crank is in need of turning?And do you have to remove motor to install thrust bearings?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:28 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickd1
Ive read several horror stories of the crank having to much end play and taking out the thrust bearings, i cant wait to see what the oil pan off shows, Can you disconnect the rods from under the motor and tell if the crank is in need of turning?And do you have to remove motor to install thrust bearings?
I believe that's more common with automatics.

Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:49 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

the thrust bearing they are referring to is the middle main bearing the crank rides on. yes you can replace them in car. picture is from my 408 motor i used to have.

Last edited by mrr23; 09-07-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrr23
the thrust bearing they are referring to is the middle main bearing the crank rides on. yes you can replace them in car. picture is from my 408 motor i used to have.

This is promising.thanks for the reply
Old 09-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

UPDATE..
Car goes back the the engine builder monday to determine what went wrong.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mrr23

There's no way you're going to replace one of those in the car without some serious work. The rest of the drivetrain would have to be dropped to get to the back of the motor and get the flywheel off, and by the time you tear the oil pain and the whole front of the motor off... Even then, you aren't going to be able to get the crank all the way out without pulling the heads and pushing some of the pistons to TDC. You *MIGHT* be able to pull the center main cap, and lower the others enough to drop the crank down a hair to wiggle a new bearing in, but even then how do you intend to get everything torqued properly?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
There's no way you're going to replace one of those in the car without some serious work. The rest of the drivetrain would have to be dropped to get to the back of the motor and get the flywheel off, and by the time you tear the oil pain and the whole front of the motor off... Even then, you aren't going to be able to get the crank all the way out without pulling the heads and pushing some of the pistons to TDC. You *MIGHT* be able to pull the center main cap, and lower the others enough to drop the crank down a hair to wiggle a new bearing in, but even then how do you intend to get everything torqued properly?
it sounds like alot of work and money.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

UPDATE!!
UPDATE! !

As of today the builder is standing Tall.
hes dropped the pan .he found what he thought could be a broken valve guide.
he swears that its not bearing material in the pan.
So earlier today he was pulling the heads. Then later today he text me and said the motor would be out by tomorrow, Dont know what he saw if and when he pulled the heads. He likes to talk through texting..
So he knows im very very limited on funds. ( hell im still paying for last years motor ) But hes moving forward on his on.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

UPDATE!!
UPDATE! !

As of today the builder is standing Tall.
hes dropped the pan .he found what he thought could be a broken valve guide.
he swears that its not bearing material in the pan.
So earlier today he was pulling the heads. Then later today he text me and said the motor would be out by tomorrow, Dont know what he saw if and when he pulled the heads. He likes to talk through texting..
So he knows im very very limited on funds. ( hell im still paying for last years motor ) But hes moving forward on his on.
I seriously doubt that is valve guide in the pan.....possible sure but.. Not likely. He pulled the motor because it likely ate a bearing...wouldn't surprise me if it lost the thrust bearing, likely due to incorrect setup during assembly.. Hence why he pulled it.

Hopefully he stands behind it with no out of pocket cost to you.. 1000 miles is ridiculous...

Sometimes sh*t happens, it's all in how the engine builder handles it.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I seriously doubt that is valve guide in the pan.....possible sure but.. Not likely. He pulled the motor because it likely ate a bearing...wouldn't surprise me if it lost the thrust bearing, likely due to incorrect setup during assembly.. Hence why he pulled it.

Hopefully he stands behind it with no out of pocket cost to you.. 1000 miles is ridiculous...

Sometimes sh*t happens, it's all in how the engine builder handles it.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

It's easy to have that warm glow when every thing goes well, but the true test of quality is how things are handled when they go wrong. Sounds like you have a stand-up guy... Hope so!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:19 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Nowanker
It's easy to have that warm glow when every thing goes well, but the true test of quality is how things are handled when they go wrong. Sounds like you have a stand-up guy... Hope so!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

UPDATE
UPDATE

The motor is apart. What the builder has found is a spun and broke bearing , He says its very unusual to see a bearing break,

So as of today the crank and rod was going back to the machine shop to check for trueness of the two. im still wondering how that happens with 1000 miles , im assuming that with a broke bearing and the vibration i could feel in the pedals
that the cylinder walls could be outta round some?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

The reason the bearing broke was that it was worn paper thin... The bearing should never actually contact the crank... There should be just enough clearance in the bearings for oil to flow through there with resistance..(providing oil pressure) and to "float" the crank a thin layer of oil..

Basically.. The engine builder either did not set the bearing clearance correct, had an oiling problem to that journal, or resized the rods incorrectly (which he would have discovered during the mock up and clearance check)...Last thing could be he over torqued the rod bolts, thus changing the clamping force and bearing clearance.

Basically, its the builder's responsibility... He Fd up.

The whole thing needs to be boiled and cleaned up very well, turn the crank, put all new bearings in it, resize the rods and mock it up and measure clearances again. Ask for a blueprint the whole thing and see where the clearances are at when he is done.

Get notified of new replies

To My 402 stroker surprise surprise!!!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajrothm
The reason the bearing broke was that it was worn paper thin... The bearing should never actually contact the crank... There should be just enough clearance in the bearings for oil to flow through there with resistance..(providing oil pressure) and to "float" the crank a thin layer of oil..

Basically.. The engine builder either did not set the bearing clearance correct, had an oiling problem to that journal, or resized the rods incorrectly (which he would have discovered during the mock up and clearance check)...Last thing could be he over torqued the rod bolts, thus changing the clamping force and bearing clearance.

Basically, its the builder's responsibility... He Fd up.

The whole thing needs to be boiled and cleaned up very well, turn the crank, put all new bearings in it, resize the rods and mock it up and measure clearances again. Ask for a blueprint the whole thing and see where the clearances are at when he is done.
Sounds like very sound advice! thanks alot for your comments and advice.
I will say that when i picked up the car after it was built , oil pressure would NOT go above 55 lbs at wot and 35 at idle and thats with 50 weight oil in it, and no break in oil was used when he broke it in on the dyno, So at about the 500 mile mark, i furnished a new mellon oil pump and had him change it out for free . he had a stock pump in it , i wanted a high volume, pressure went up to 65 lb at wot 50 at idle.
wonder if could have been a problem from moment one?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Very likely... However the first oil pressure numbers didn't sound too bad.. Although with 50 weight molasses in it, it should have been higher.

Oil temps have a huge effect on oil pressure as well. You shouldn't have to run 50wt oil. 40wt I can see...50wt is masking a problem.

On my 402,
I normally see around 65 psi @wot at 200* oil temp, oil pressure at idle is normally around 35 psi at 200* oil temp.. However if my oil temp gets up to 230* or so, it will idle around 25 psi.. I have seen as low as 22 psi.... This is with 10w40.

Its all about clearances and temps. Extra oil pressure is just eating HP
Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

UPDATE
UPDATE
The engine builder has the crank and a rod at the machine shop. Oversizing the rod and turning the crank.
reusing the rings, but replacing all the bearings.he says I should have my car back next Friday as good as new.
So far he hasnt mentioned any money from me.

Quick Reply: My 402 stroker surprise surprise!!!