C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good mechanic in Northern Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for a good mechanic in Northern Illinois

Hi Forum friends,

This forum rocks.

I live in Wheeling, Illinois and my office is in Des Plaines, Illinois. I recently purchased a 2001 Convertible and am looking for a good quality, trusted mechanic for my Vette that isn't going to charge me two arms and a leg for the stuff I'm going to need.

I know I need to have the batteries replaced on my tire pressure monitors. They are original, according to the previous owner (my pops). Recently, the front right intermittently works. Some days, it's fine. Some days, nada. As I understand it, these units have batteries in them that can be replaced. I'd like to have all four done soon, but don't want to take it to the stealership.

Anyway, I figure someone on the forums has to have a "guy" they trust. Please share!

My best,

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffislouie; 09-22-2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Removed Stasek Chevrolet bashing, which added nothing.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Discount tires did my TPM's when I got tires a couple months ago, fast and reasonable.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Discount tires did my TPM's when I got tires a couple months ago, fast and reasonable.
Discount tires replaced the batteries on your tire pressure monitors? I didn't know they could.
Any idea about how much that ran?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeffislouie
Discount tires replaced the batteries on your tire pressure monitors? I didn't know they could.
Any idea about how much that ran?
Nobody replaces that batteries unless you do it yourself. New TPM's were about $60 a wheel for my 01'. Batteries are epoxied in and spot welded in place, any thread you read on replacement mean a LOT of labor, if you pay someone to do it, it could cost more than a new sensor.

I have my old sensors (that still worked) if you want them, they are the originals as far as I know, you can find the tread on the battery replacement and give it a go if you want. We live pretty close.

Last edited by 3boystoys; 09-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

Nobody replaces that batteries unless you do it yourself. New TPM's were about $60 a wheel for my 01'. Batteries are epoxied in and spot welded in place, any thread you read on replacement mean a LOT of labor, if you pay someone to do it, it could cost more than a new sensor.

I have my old sensors (that still worked) if you want them, they are the originals as far as I know, you can find the tread on the battery replacement and give it a go if you want. We live pretty close.
$60 a wheel isn't what I expected. I thought it was going to be way higher. At that price, why mess around? I'll call a few tire places and make an appointment.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

BTW - still looking for a good mechanic, if anyone can recommend one.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

BTW - still looking for a good mechanic, if anyone can recommend one.
I live close and also have an 01 vert, 01 service manual and several advanced OBD scanners and a lot of tools if you ever need a hand.

Last edited by 3boystoys; 09-23-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Nobody replaces that batteries unless you do it yourself. New TPM's were about $60 a wheel for my 01'. Batteries are epoxied in and spot welded in place, any thread you read on replacement mean a LOT of labor, if you pay someone to do it, it could cost more than a new sensor........

The more common battery changes were done to the early '97-'00 style sensors. They are epoxied in place and you have to dig into the original potting to get the battery out, then solder a battery back in, then pot them again. Not real easy, but a number of people have done it.

The '01-'04 style is much harder to do. They redesigned the sensor so it is smaller and the battery is relocated and harder to do all that work without damaging the sensor.

The '01-'04 style is cheaper than the early style to buy new ones. Schrader made the originals for GM, so if you are looking for "stock" replacements, then look for either Schrader or AC Delco sensors. I just did a quick internet search and found them for about $36 each (AC Delco). At that price most people just replace the sensors instead of trying to put new batteries in.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

I live close and also have an 01 vert, 01 service manual and several advanced OBD scanners and a lot of tools if you ever need a hand.
Thanks. Our cars appear to be twins!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:25 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Thanks. Our cars appear to be twins!
6 speed?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

6 speed?
Automatic (beggars can't be choosers)
Old 09-23-2014, 04:26 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Automatic (beggars can't be choosers)
OK, you can be the evil twin.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

OK, you can be the evil twin.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Like the commercial says "It's good to be bad"
Old 09-23-2014, 07:20 PM
tfrieden
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Discount Tire in Rockford. Great service.As far as mechanics I've heard that D&M on Ogden Avenue were really good but anybody that knows what they're doing isn't going to be cheap.I talked to them at carshow in Rosemont and they seemed to be very well informed on corvette service.Lot more knowledgeable than most chevy dealerships

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a good mechanic in Northern Illinois

Quick Reply: Looking for a good mechanic in Northern Illinois