C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a Z06 titanium exhaust on a non Z

Old 12-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Putting a Z06 titanium exhaust on a non Z

Just posting up some tips and part numbers. I went over to Garland and met up with Steve (2003RedVette on here) because he knew of a loading dock to hang the rear of the car off of to do this. I didn't want to jack the car up three feet and then be tugging and pulling on stuff. If you use a loading dock you get REALY REALY close to dropping it over the edge. Turn the car off and push it back with one foot and keep your other foot on the brake and a hand ready to yank parking brake. My car is an automatic and has a heat shield Steve's manual Trans didn't have. It is next to the right pipe where the axel back part connects. The shield is held on with 2 bolts and a tab that fits in a slot on another shield. Unles you take this off your not getting the right side out. It's small but does a great job blocking the pipe. Other than the needed height this is the easiest exhaust swap I have ever done. Just 4 flange bolts and remove 4 sway bar bolts and swing it out of the way. Now that you know about the shield it should not take over half an hour tops. If you do remove the muffler hangers its captured bolts but caution they will go up into the frame then you got some head scratching to do. The biggest problem was getting new gaskets. Chevy didn't have them. Napa guy said I didn't know what I was talking about. Oriley on line lists a brand and part number but the store doesn't stock that brand. Autozone had them but took trips to 2 different stores to get 2 gaskets.

Here are the part numbers from places around here for the gasket.

At Oriley on line it is listed as a 31537 Walker flange gasket $6.99 each
At AutoZone it is a 60831 exhaust gasket. They were $6.48 out the door
Steve found them at Oreillyauto.com part number EG24685. ROL gaskets $3.99
At the Chevy dealer they list it as part #10276792 didn't have wouldn't give price.

Last edited by Spare Time Toy; 12-13-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Putting in part numbers
Old 12-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Derf
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ti's

Did you take a few pics? The Ti's are were a good choice.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Originally Posted by Derf
Did you take a few pics? The Ti's are were a good choice.
Yes but I can't post from this I pad.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

As an alternative to jacking, or backing to the edge of a loading dock, I installed my Ti's in a friend's garage that has a floor pit.

No dangerous jacking, or risk of rolling off a loading dock this way!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:33 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

I would love to have a pit! Friend of a friend does, I installed a shift kit in a buddies car a few years back using it. Maybe my next home.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Here is what I have for photos. My car next to the dock, how close to the edge you need to get, The shield, where the shield sits, screen shot of Orlieys web page, and bag from the gaskets I used. I know crappy cell phone photos but its an old Iphone 3.
Attached Images       
Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spare Time Toy
Here is what I have for photos. My car next to the dock, how close to the edge you need to get, The shield, where the shield sits, screen shot of Orlieys web page, and bag from the gaskets I used. I know crappy cell phone photos but its an old Iphone 3.
It was nice to be able to help a fellow corvette forum member out. I had totally forgot about the heat shield issue with the automatic but we worked through it and got it done! Until next time, take care and happy Corvetting!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Yea Steve told me about doing that. Its a GOOD idea !

Nicely done guys !

Toque
Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

On my brother's 2001 Vert/Auto and my 2002 Vert/Auto, there is a sheet metal wiring harness bracket on top of the diff that gets in the way on the right side as well. Just bend it up out of the way and pull it back down when done.

Get notified of new replies

To Putting a Z06 titanium exhaust on a non Z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting a Z06 titanium exhaust on a non Z