C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resolved mirror position faults, B2262-B2265

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:21 PM
jmfol
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Resolved mirror position faults, B2262-B2265

I had this issue for a while on my '01, where I regularly had to re-adjust the position of my driver side mirror. Was also getting codes B2262 (Horizontal Position Sensor Fault ) and B2264 (Vertical Position Sensor Fault), sometimes almost once a week.

Not that I needed the feature much - I am the only driver and don't need to use the memory function - but I could not resolve myself to cut the position wires to get rid of this nagging problem. My education I guess.

The problem does not lay with the mirror motor, but with the 2 linear pots inside the motor assembly which are feeding back the mirror vertical and horizontal positions to the left door and right door control modules. With times, the conductive track on these pots gets oxidized, and start to have tiny bad contact spots. The vibrations while driving or opening/closing the door make it jump from a good spot to an oxidized spot. That's what drives the control module crazy and makes it throw the B2262-B2265 error codes.

The fix is quite simple and inexpensive. It requires to clean the track of the two linear pots inside the mirror motor assembly. I have used for years a product called Deoxit for cleaning the potentiometers in old electronics, and the product does wonder (I am not affiliated with the company, btw). It comes as a spray (only use in 5% concentration, not 100%) in small or big cans. I use the small cans (P/N is DN5MS-15). They are easy to find on line.

You'll first need to remove the mirror face to gain access to the motor assembly. Locate the two linear pots (see white arrows on the pic). There are easy to spot, you can easily move them inside out the motor assembly with your fingers. Using the spray tube, spray a few times the cleaner at the base of each pot while fully extended, and then cycle them a few times. That should be sufficient to clean the oxidation on the pot tracks. I like to complement it with a couple of sprays of potentiometer lubricant (ie Deoxit lubricant F5) to protect the tracks. Your call. Now re-assemble the mirror.

I found re-attaching the mirror face to the mirror motor to be a pain. The method proposed in the service manual did not work for me. It was much easier to remove the 2 plastic jack screws from the motor assembly and snap them directly on to the mirror face prior to re-assembly, and then re-attach the mirror face to the mirror motor. You have to be careful that the 2 jack screws align well with their corresponding shafts in the motor assembly, but is not difficult to do with a flash light and long screwdriver.

That's it. I did the fix 4 months ago on the driver side mirror, and have not had a single issue or DTC since then. Hope it works for you.

JM
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
HAWAIIZR-1 (02-05-2024)
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 AM
ledesordre
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the first post I've seen that actually finds and fixes the issue. Nicely done! I have the same symptoms (memory mirrors keep moving skyward every time i unlock the car, b226x codes, etc). going so I will add this post to my ever evolving list of stuff to do

Thanks!

edit: also, can you describe how to remove the mirror front face? maybe its easy, i just haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by ledesordre; 01-26-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Great info.
Thanks for taking the time to share.
I am not getting the codes, but, my driver's side mirror never gets back to the right place whenever the memory is used. I'm hoping this may help me out! Worth a try!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:30 PM
Bubba91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed
Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 AM
jakecol
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just tried this on a '97 in my shop. Actually took apart the motor housing on the right side & cleaned the contact strip & the layer of black crud on the wiper (attached to the posts pointed out above). However, after testing with my DVM, although voltage changes at the wiring at the motor for some reason the door module is still showing no voltage on the position circuit on my Tech II.... We shall see if it changes after a few days but I'm not optimistic.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 PM
swampmonster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone been successful with this "fix"?

Get notified of new replies

To Resolved mirror position faults, B2262-B2265

Quick Reply: Resolved mirror position faults, B2262-B2265