C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCM5 Success...after phase II

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 AM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Default LCM5 Success...after phase II

Yup - got the dreaded column lock. Definitely caused by a low battery and starting the engine (you can have a low enough battery to cause issues but still start the car...trust me). I was about to move out of state so I had to have the issue fixed by a private vette shop by installing the LCM5, but afterwards I would still get the pull key message prolly about 60% of the time. Pulling the key and trying again would work, but it was getting really annoying having to restart the car twice). Reading the LCM5 instructions, I fortunately saw the additional instructions for just such a situation (still getting the pull key message after install. This involved adding the brown wire to the BCM wire harness connector and cutting the wire loop on the LCM5. A week later, not a single message!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Good job and thanks for posting your results!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:02 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I had the same issue and I too install the brown wire and even had my 5MPH fuel shut off reprogrammed to 245 MPH so I never get into the car shutting off. My column has never locked after installing the mod but I did the 5MPH shut off so I eliminated that $100.00 buck for 5 minute job.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:01 AM
xdmikey
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP and others, what years are you all?

I'm a '97 and what I read(or the way I read it)was that the '98-04 models have an additional possible issue and there was a special box on the instructions on how to deal with it.

I'm getting nervous again about getting stuck somewhere (never happened but I want to put some miles on it so I can trust it again).

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:18 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by xdmikey

I'm a '97 and what I read(or the way I read it)was that the '98-04 models have an additional possible issue and there was a special box on the instructions on how to deal with it.

I'm getting nervous again about getting stuck somewhere (never happened but I want to put some miles on it so I can trust it again).

Thanks.
So have you done the LMC5? Here is a link that should answer all your questions

http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5description.html
Old 03-10-2015, 07:34 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by xdmikey

Thanks.
If U have installed the LMC5 and haven't seen any more pull key messages U R fine. Remember u need to turn key and let computers fire up before U crank the car, if not U may get the message. It only takes 5 seconds. This recommendation is in the instructions. Some BCM's are a little off and they will need the extra brown wire install but 95 % don't, mine just happened to be in that 5%. No worries about getting stranded the worst case is U will occassonally get the pull key message. Mine was happening a little to often so I installed the brown wire mod. Call Richard he will advise U on what to do if you have concerns. Thumbs
Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 AM
fyrdriver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well apparently I'm a 5%er too. Does anyone have a link to the brown wire mod?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:38 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by runner140*
He lives in Malibu on the Pacific Coast Hwy and I'm stuck working on Ft. Lauderdale beach?
I feel real sorry for both of you..
Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
It's on the bottom of page 2 in the instruction manual and also reproduced here in one of the multiple threads on this subject.
Basically you again disconnect the neg battery terminal, remove the upper larger pink connector from the BCM, pull out the lower dark green 3rd wire from the right (diagonally down to the left from the previous one you replaced with the LMC5 wire) and replace this one with the brown wire from the LMC5, then cut the brown short wire loop sticking out of the LMC5, cap all the wire ends with the caps provided, replace the BCM back in it's holder, reconnect the battery, and you are done. Hopefully forever.

Call Richard
Missed one step, remove the light gray comb piece so the green wire can be removed. This wire is harder to deal with because it is on the bottom row of wires in this pink connector and it is the third wire from the end so u have to seperate the wires somewhat to deal with it. Good luck
Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 AM
Daddie O
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the dreaded 5% too with the pull key issue after installing the LCM5. I am not mechanically inclined, so to do the brown wire mod is out of the question for me. I will have to take it back to the mechanic that installed the LCM5, pray that he understands the super complicated instructions for the brown wire mod, pray that nothing else get jacked up in the process. Then go back to the stereo shop and pay to have them tune my deck since all settings will be wiped by disconnecting the battery again. What a nightmare. I feel like starting a "DO NOT BUY AN LCM5" campaign, since it seems most (not 5%) run into issues after installing it. My car had no issues, and then I bought the device, paid for it to be installed, and now my car has issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

It really isn't that hard or complicated to do the brown wire mod. Having to get down in te foot well is the hardest part and taking the neg. battery cable loose shouldn't loose any of your radio functions. Once U get this done U want have any more problems and U can have peace of mind knowing your column will not ever lock. I did have a guy with a HP tuner reset my 5mph fuel shutoff to max 245 so that will never happen to me again. I saw a post a few weeks ago where Richard hoped a plane to Oregon and fixed an elderly guys LMC5 issue, call him and see if he will fix yours. Good luck
Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

If anyone needs a copy of the LMC5 instructions that include the brown wire install, PM me with your email and I will send in PDF files.

Ron
Old 07-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Cheesecake 07
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddie O
Then go back to the stereo shop and pay to have them tune my deck since all settings will be wiped by disconnecting the battery again. What a nightmare.
Holy cow.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:25 PM
richwethington
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
If anyone needs a copy of the LMC5 instructions that include the brown wire install, PM me with your email and I will send in PDF files.

Ron
Ron...please send me your PDF's. I am working thru this now. Thanks...rich...
Old 09-20-2016, 12:52 PM
lownslo93
Heel & Toe

I bought an 04' Z06 and got the message right away and ordered the LMC5 kit. When I went to install it I found the previous owner installed it already but didn't do the brown wire mod. So I performed that and haven't seen it since. Has been around 1 month so far.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:08 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

To anyone installing an LMC5, just do the brown wire mod when you install it an be done with it. I didn't and then had to go back in and do it which is pretty much repeating all of the steps to do the install in the first place. To my knowledge doing the mod even if you don't need it will not hurt anything.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:47 PM
digikorrie
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by v6turbo87
To anyone installing an LMC5, just do the brown wire mod when you install it an be done with it. I didn't and then had to go back in and do it which is pretty much repeating all of the steps to do the install in the first place. To my knowledge doing the mod even if you don't need it will not hurt anything.
Hello,

i like to order a LMC5 at compilanceparts butt have some questions.
but they do not respond on my mail at all.
Maybe the shop is closed ore something

If this is the service they provide then i better do buy something else

Who knows how i can reach them

Regards
Korrie

Amsterdam Netherlands

Get notified of new replies

To LCM5 Success...after phase II

Old 09-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by digikorrie
Hello,

i like to order a LMC5 at compilanceparts butt have some questions.
but they do not respond on my mail at all.
Maybe the shop is closed ore something

If this is the service they provide then i better do buy something else

Who knows how i can reach them

Regards
Korrie

Amsterdam Netherlands
I would call them. it is the only fix !!! I think they are sold on E-Bay as well !!!
http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5whoneeds1.html
Old 09-25-2016, 11:35 AM
digikorrie
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by akapounder
I would call them. it is the only fix !!! I think they are sold on E-Bay as well !!!
http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5whoneeds1.html
Hello,

I know that they sell on ebay.
But why do they not respond on email questions
I know for sure if i order one then they will repond very fast

I have my own compagny in automotive products but i answer alle the mail even if a customer not places a order

I like to order but have a question and calling them from the Netherlands to the USA is no problem only a few minutes on the phone is the same amount off cost that the LMC5 will be
So that is why i like to correspondend by mail

Its a shame that Richard is his name a belive will not communicate with customers outside the USA

Regards
Korrie
Old 09-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by digikorrie
Hello,

I know that they sell on ebay.
But why do they not respond on email questions
I know for sure if i order one then they will repond very fast

I have my own compagny in automotive products but i answer alle the mail even if a customer not places a order

I like to order but have a question and calling them from the Netherlands to the USA is no problem only a few minutes on the phone is the same amount off cost that the LMC5 will be
So that is why i like to correspondend by mail

Its a shame that Richard is his name a belive will not communicate with customers outside the USA

Regards
Korrie
ask your questions here maybe someone can help you ??

Quick Reply: LCM5 Success...after phase II