C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMS 220 heads....Info, Pics, and discussion inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrowne
No on both. I'll probably have to save some cash for the transmission - it may require some tweaking once the engine is done. I read that bang for the buck with headers and the Fast intake just isn't there for street use.
The trans should be fine. You'd be surprised how some have held up over the years with major abuse on both street and strip with slicks and drag radials.

I's do headers and intake when you can.

I have a proven, ported 92 Fast with the proper fuel rails and all hardware I'm planning on selling if interested.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by sabastian458
What the projected time frame on the 4.00in bore heads? I currently have a set of TFS As Cast 220's that I'm looking to have worked over for my striker build or replace them with another set. (Depending on pricing)
They are available now.....and much like the 220's the final results slightly exceeded expectations!

Low mid 340's in the intake....260+ exhaust.....you might invest a fortune in the TFS to even get close.....much like it's 220 smaller brother, its also a very optimized piece.

Email or call.....we can discuss your options in more detail then (see my sig for contact info).

Originally Posted by dankhts
Tony is your CNC program a max effort out of the box or is there additional bowl/blending work that can be done?
Understand that as a cylinder head designer by trade.....a guy that spends months at times designing a single port to ultimately digitize and mass produce, there are very few heads that I couldn't improve with a little extra hand finishing....some needing more than others of course. I can say confidently the new MMS line would reap some of the smallest gains from the additional work (the CNC program is that good out of the box), but any mass produced part off a CNC machine is going to come with its share of compromises (port location relative to the guide, tool run out and condition, rollover fixture run out, how sharp or dull the tool actually is.....etc.). There are numerous moving targets in any CNC program and while some careful planning and better programming can minimize it, there will always be small gains available with additional hand finishing of the heads which is time consuming and very detail oriented.

For 90% of the guys reading this, my new line of heads right out of the box is going to thrill you and the quality will be obvious as soon as you slide it from the box. For the guys that cant live knowing they left that extra 5-10 RWHP or so on the table and have the budget to chase that extra power, I offer hand finished MMS heads as well. You know better than I whether you fall into the 90% crowd or the 10% crowd but I offer options for both!

A couple of pics of my hand finished MMS 220 heads

If you guys have any further questions feel free to get in touch with me directly

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 04-27-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:29 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Dyno Tune Results with MMS 220 Heads and Cam

I had the car dyno tuned today and the results are as follows: 358.6 RWHP and 336.2 Max Torque. Car is a 2004 Corvette with base engine and auto trans, MMS 220 heads and mild cam. The car has Magnaflow cat back exhaust and no mods other than the cam and heads. I was hoping for 370 RWHP but I'll take 358. I've considered long tube headers but I'll probably leave the cars as is for now. Feel free to voice your opinions.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

You're leaving a ridiculous amount of power on the table without doing intake and exhaust mods. I'd bet with a good cold air kit and long tube headers (and a re tune) you would easily see 30-40 more HP.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
You're leaving a ridiculous amount of power on the table without doing intake and exhaust mods. I'd bet with a good cold air kit and long tube headers (and a re tune) you would easily see 30-40 more HP.
Amen to that.....LOL

I think this might be the only build I know of with aftermarket heads that still has the stock airbox/airbridge in place......LOL

There is alot discussed about this build on the other board under my MMS 220 thread in the Gen III internal section. Alot of cool developments

The cliff note version....Terry is stepping up and installing a Halltech Stinger, FAST 36 lb injectors, a set of LG Pro longtubes, and a ported FAST 92 with a ported LS2 TB that I am helping him with. Of course he is heading back to the same dyno for a retune which should be very exciting. Im hoping to see low 400's to the ground when the smoke clears thru an auto trans and a very mild 221 cam that would easily pass smog even here in CA. That would be impressive and these new rounds of mods will hopefully let the new heads really shine.....we are all looking forward to the results which are probably 3-4 weeks away (I'm part of that delay!).

Should be very interesting to see the power curve and the layover of both the before and after results.....the only thing cooler would have been to also have the stock A4 baseline which I suspect was in the 280 range (kinda typical for a C5 auto trans application with 345 HP at the crank).

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-01-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Default I think I'm going to love this car

Yes sir! This car runs very strong right now with just Tony's heads and cam. I'm really interested in what it's going to feel like with ported FAST 92, LS2 throttle body, LG Super Pro headers, injectors and CAI. I was looking for low and mid range torgue which I have in spades and it's only getting better.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:02 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I really hate to say this, and I have all the respect for Tony, but; meh. You really do need headers, but I don't think it's gonna make more than 20 RW. Maybe you need a better tuner. Also, two thumbs up for a ported FAST setup; It really made a difference on my build.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I really hate to say this, and I have all the respect for Tony, but; meh. You really do need headers, but I don't think it's gonna make more than 20 RW. Maybe you need a better tuner. Also, two thumbs up for a ported FAST setup; It really made a difference on my build.
I've seen plenty of cars gain 20-30 hp on stock motors with nothing more than headers and a CAI. This guy already has a great set of heads and a healthy cam. I'm betting 390-400 after the next round, provided he has a good tuner.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:43 AM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll bet higher than that. Hell, my 04 (Even though it's an M6) made 352/369 with full bolt-ons.

He's got the right parts on order to actually UTILIZE the potential now. Bottom line, that engine needs to breathe and exhale, and it's literally doing both through a straw right now.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also have to remember that dyno numbers are not universal. It would be nice to see some other car dynoed on that dyno to see. After he gets his headers and intake a pass down the 1/4 will be the best dyno. The mph doesn't lie, assuming the driver is competent.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:33 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Default Just waiting on the headers

Heads, Cam, Ported FAST 92 Intake and Ported LS2 Throttle Body all from Tony Mamo are installed. Just waiting on the headers from Maryland Speed, which they say were sent to be ceramic coated today. We'll see! And a few pics to show the progress.
Attached Images     
Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Looking good Terry.....nice shop btw!!

Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I've seen plenty of cars gain 20-30 hp on stock motors with nothing more than headers and a CAI. This guy already has a great set of heads and a healthy cam. I'm betting 390-400 after the next round, provided he has a good tuner.
Mine did 450/ 396 with just heads/cam, on a stingy Mustang dyno, so...
To be fair, I'd already done headers/homemade CAI. Tom Wong did the tuning.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:45 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Default Will the frustration ever end?

UPS delivered the X-Pipe and header parts late yesterday afternoon. Box was in good shape and the pipes are pristine, however, the O2 sensor extensions for the 04 Corvette are missing. The parts inventory listing from LG Motorsports show that 2 pairs of square to square O2 extensions ('04 only') should have been in the box. I've carefully gone through the packaging from the box and they are not present. I've contacted LG Motorsports and they are going to ship them out on Monday which is wonderful service, but I've been set back another week. None of this will make any difference in ten years - but for now, I'm pretty frustrated. Thanks for listening!
Old 08-08-2015, 04:56 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by tbrowne
UPS delivered the X-Pipe and header parts late yesterday afternoon. Box was in good shape and the pipes are pristine, however, the O2 sensor extensions for the 04 Corvette are missing. The parts inventory listing from LG Motorsports show that 2 pairs of square to square O2 extensions ('04 only') should have been in the box. I've carefully gone through the packaging from the box and they are not present. I've contacted LG Motorsports and they are going to ship them out on Monday which is wonderful service, but I've been set back another week. None of this will make any difference in ten years - but for now, I'm pretty frustrated. Thanks for listening!
I have a couple of occasions to need customer service from LG, and they were fantastic. Good luck with getting everything settled.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:31 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Default Dynoed Today

Just got home. 412 Max HP and 384 Max Torque. Proxses Tuning in Centerville Ohio did an outstanding job. Car runs great and pulls hard and any RPM - I'm very happy with it - exactly what I wanted. I posted a couple of pics, car on the rollers and the Dyno Report. I know some of you are waiting so I won't say any more right now.
Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2015, 12:19 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Tony, any 6 bolt heads coming out?

Get notified of new replies

To MMS 220 heads....Info, Pics, and discussion inside

Old 08-28-2015, 03:43 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Tony, any 6 bolt heads coming out?
Not for cathedral....I offer some TFS six bolt casting stuff in the square port heads.

With the thick AFR head deck and some ARP hardware your good for 900+ RWHP.....if your going for more than that you ought to be in a square port head anyway!

Real happy with the gains of the recent round of mods in Terry's extremely clean burgundy C5.....it woke it up without a doubt and for a very conservative build thru an auto trans, the numbers are finally more in line with what I was hoping to see with a handful of properly chosen supporting mods.

-Tony

PS.....There is a documented build on Tech of an FBody making 474 RWHP with a tune that needs some brushing up and only a 227 cam.....six speed car. Car made one pull at almost 200 degree water temps on a 106 degree day in Phoenix.....LOL With a dual exhaust and a lighter weight clutch' some tuning and a better day on the dyno, this FBody might crack 500 RWHP with a 227 intake lobe....it would be the first to do so....he is running the same heads as Terry (my new MMS 220's) in a little more of an optimized street/strip style build (more compression, bigger cam, 102 mm induction etc.)

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 08-28-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Oh, I agree. I like the square port stuff. I have LSX-LS7 heads on my car.

But, you know there's always those that want to do more with less. (That kinda seems to be your whole program) I know there's guys that want to push the cathedral port stuff far beyond 900. But, I doubt there's enough of them that would warrant the casting expense involved to produce a 6 bolt head.

Best of success to you with this startup and your product line.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

What chamber size on Terry's heads?

Quick Reply: MMS 220 heads....Info, Pics, and discussion inside