C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoa! Pull Key and wait 10 seconds with LCM5 installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:04 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Whoa! Pull Key and wait 10 seconds with LCM5 installed!!!

Ok so my K-harness fried last year when my battery went dead. I removed the K-harness and installed the LCM5. Everything has been great until today. I even drove the car yesterday with no issues. However I go to back the car out this evening and get the notorious PULL KEY AND WAIT 10 SECONDS warning. I don't and when exceed the 2mph the car dies. What the heck?!? I thought this could no longer happen with the LCM5 installed??? Oh and I put a new battery in it last year when the old one fried the K-harness.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:51 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Did you do the brown wire mod, when you installed the LMC5? Tuner can take out the 2 mph feature.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-gremlins.html

Last edited by 73Corvette; 03-29-2015 at 11:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 73Corvette:
68Malibu383 (09-18-2021), Johnny Hardcore (09-27-2021), soysauce (09-16-2021)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't want to knock the LMC5 but what's wrong with a good-old CLB? I guess it's considered too old-school these days...lol. I know that my CLB which I installed about 6 years ago has been bulletproof. Installed it and forgot it. It's never acted up. Just saying.

Good luck with your issue.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

I installed the CLB several years ago and will still occasionally get the pull key and wait 10 seconds message. When I had the car dyno tuned last summer I had them change the fuel cutoff to 200 mph so that isn't an issue anymore, but it is still aggravating when it happens. Of course, the column no longer locks so no issue there.

I also thought that the CLB would eliminate this issue, but I guess not in all cases...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes, I get that message. I could install the brown wire but installing the unit was such a pain that I'd rather just wait 10 seconds. It's my understanding that this unit will prevent the steering wheel lockup even without the brown wire installed, so your choice is to (a) spend 30 minutes crawling around under the dashboard to get that brown wire installed, and (b) spend 10 seconds every month or so waiting to reinsert the key. I chose option b. Then I'm not the fastidious type. I get a warning light on my dash to shift from first to fourth gear, which I ignore and shift into second with no problem. For some folks, that's not good enough. They don't want to see that warning, even if it has no effect. If I could wave a magic wand and make it stop, I would. If it were to cost me more that $2.00, I'll just chuckle when I see that warning light up in vain.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Don't want to knock the LMC5 but what's wrong with a good-old CLB? I guess it's considered too old-school these days...lol. I know that my CLB which I installed about 6 years ago has been bulletproof. Installed it and forgot it. It's never acted up. Just saying.

yeah I got nasty PMs when I posted that kind of stuff...as an Admin I am not supposed to have an opinion I guess. fact is I didn't have to jump through hoops and make changes after I installed my CLB to get it to work...it just worked

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
I installed the CLB several years ago and will still occasionally get the pull key and wait 10 seconds message. When I had the car dyno tuned last summer I had them change the fuel cutoff to 200 mph so that isn't an issue anymore, but it is still aggravating when it happens. Of course, the column no longer locks so no issue there.

I also thought that the CLB would eliminate this issue, but I guess not in all cases...
seen it once in my 99 in 15 years......happened less than 5 times in the 02......
Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Koufax
Yes, I get that message. I could install the brown wire but installing the unit was such a pain that I'd rather just wait 10 seconds. It's my understanding that this unit will prevent the steering wheel lockup even without the brown wire installed, so your choice is to (a) spend 30 minutes crawling around under the dashboard to get that brown wire installed, and (b) spend 10 seconds every month or so waiting to reinsert the key. I chose option b. Then I'm not the fastidious type. I get a warning light on my dash to shift from first to fourth gear, which I ignore and shift into second with no problem. For some folks, that's not good enough. They don't want to see that warning, even if it has no effect. If I could wave a magic wand and make it stop, I would. If it were to cost me more that $2.00, I'll just chuckle when I see that warning light up in vain.
Did you do the skip shift eliminator mod?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cybermind

Your right nothing wrong with it...

It functionally does the same thing a CLB does except that it is connected directly to the BCM eliminating all the factory and recall wiring and hardware.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I too got the message after installing the lmc5. First make sure you let the computers have time to come up after you turn key on but not crank or U may get the message. Second if you still get the message call Richard at comp. and let him guide you as to what to do. I was instructed by Richard to install brown wire mod and did so and next day I got the message again even after the brown wire mod. and the 5 MPH cutoff got me as well. Not sure why but I went back through the brown wire mod process and everything worked as it should but I found a HP tuner to increase my MPH to 245 mph. Only thing I can figure is I had a loose wire somewhere, my wheel never locked but the MPH got me so that is why I had it changed to 245 MPH, cost me 100.00 buck for a two minute job but peace of mind is worth the 100.00 bucks. Good luck
Old 03-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Irony
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the 3rd owner of my lightly modified and tuned '01. I just installed a new battery and got the warning message.
How can I check if a tuner had increased my MPH cut off; other than driving off and waiting to see what happens?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:30 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Only way to check other than trying to drive is to have either HP Tuners or EFI Live tuning software and check how the PCM is programmed relative to the 2mph fuel shutoff speed. Nothing that you can physically look at.
Thanks for jumping in...you are the man!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:39 AM
Daddie O
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I also installed the LCM5, and now get the dreaded pull key wait 10 seconds, then the fuel cutoff. I called Richard, and he suggested the brown wire mod, which I have yet to do because I am not mechanically inclined. I deeply regret ever getting the LCM5, and paying a mechanic to install it. I should have followed the old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". One of these days I will have to pay a mechanic to do the brown wire mod, and hope that nothing else goes wrong.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Daddie O
Instructor

You should have just waited for the system to fail and gotten stranded. Much preferable option to messing with something that ain't broke.
Recall was already done prior to my purchase of the car, so there was no risk of being stranded.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddie O
Recall was already done prior to my purchase of the car, so there was no risk of being stranded.
The recalls GM performed did not fix the issue.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:28 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

The recall was done to my z when the column locked, 2 days before I had to take a 1500 mile trip. If it had waited 2 days I might have been stranded down in some terrible state like Georgia (kidding) ruining my whole vacation. If that's not a sign to fix the issue, I don't know what is.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 AM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Soooooo much wrong information in the hands of a manual transmission (Z06) owner.

If the recall had NOT been done you would have far less likelihood of getting stranded.

It's the recall 2mph fuel shutoff and/or GM K Harness installation that are the causes of getting stranded.
Chuck--exactely what does the GM K-harness do? Is it a module?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Daddie O
Instructor

Soooooo much wrong information in the hands of a manual transmission (Z06) owner.

If the recall had NOT been done you would have far less likelihood of getting stranded.

It's the recall 2mph fuel shutoff and/or GM K Harness installation that are the causes of getting stranded.
I did not experience any pull key error or fuel shutoff until I installed the LCM5.

Get notified of new replies

To Whoa! Pull Key and wait 10 seconds with LCM5 installed!!!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an 02 coupe and went through 3 variations of the LMCR-5 mode. Talking with Richard from compliance worked for me. Apparently there's a couple of unique C5s that the first two versions didn't work. They all kept the steering unlocked but the first two version gave me the wait 10 sec message. The last version installed last year and no issues at all. Richard is a good man. Call him.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I did not experience any pull key error or fuel shutoff until I installed the LCM5.
Neither did I for almost 3 years. Then one day it happened. That's how things happen Ya know?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 AM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Lmc5

After watching and reading the posts build in numbers about their LMC5 issue's ( 'the so-called absolute fix' ), I remember taking some tongue lashings from certain forum member/s when I posted that I had the pin removed from my steering column lock after I had the column lock on me while driving, and I stated that I don't rely or trust my safety on electronics, these posts confirm my beliefs. A simple ground issue alone can change all the dynamics of 'ANY' electronic fix, GM or aftermarket !! Jus Say'n

Quick Reply: Whoa! Pull Key and wait 10 seconds with LCM5 installed!!!