C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! need good Corvette mechanic in San Antonio Tx.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:33 AM
darnplumber
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help! need good Corvette mechanic in San Antonio Tx.

I'm on the road from Cali and my baby is having troubles. The security light stays on and sometimes will not crank over. I'm in need of a good shop that can make her all better. I'm visiting family in the San Antonio Texas area and could really use a good recommendation. Many thanks
Old 04-19-2015, 11:11 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

England Green in Houston
Old 04-19-2015, 12:16 PM
darnplumber
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I can't help with a shop in the area you are currently located but I can offer a few suggestions.

If the security light is remaining illuminated then the resistor pellet on the ignition key is NOT being correctly read by the tiny sensing wire inside the key cylinder. That prevents the starter from being enabled and hence the no crank condition you are experiencing. Also illuminates the SECURITY light on the dash so you have a clue as to what is happening. You could try a backup key if you have one with you and see if that helps. If no backup key then try rubbing the resistor pellet (both sides of it) with the eraser on a pencil to clean it off a bit. Wipe the key with a clean lint free cloth before trying to start the car again. If that doesn't help then you can get a small aerosol container of electrical contact cleaner and spraying a small amount inside the key cylinder. Many parts stores have this or if there is still a Radio Shack in business near you they also have it. Then insert and remove the key a dozen or so times wiping the key clean with a clean lint free cloth between insertions. That will clean off any oxidation on the sensing wire inside the key cylinder.

Post back your results please.......

Thanks, I have 2 new keys, tried the eraser trick, replaced the ignition cyl, and replaced the starter, now it's time.to hire a pro. Just need to find one.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:24 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by darnplumber
I'm in need of a good shop in the San Antonio Texas area and could really use a good recommendation.
One of the best ANYWHERE :-)

Mike Henderson
Henderson Performance Technologies
1660 TX-337 Loop
New Braunfels, TX 78130
(830) 620-1117

a few miles north of San Antone, 6 miles off Interstate 35.
Located near corner of River Road and Loop 337 - River Road is one of the most beautiful drives in Texas, follows the Guadalupe River. Also the best water park in the state, and a couple miles away is the legendary river town of Gruene - home of the oldest dancehall in Texas and many many interesting shops. NB is worth the drive in any case.

Last edited by smartadze; 04-19-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 PM
darnplumber
Instructor

Originally Posted by smartadze

Mike Henderson
1660 TX-337 Loop
New Braunfels, TX 78130
(830) 620-1117

Located near corner of River Road and Loop 337 - River Road is one of the most beautiful drives in Texas, follows the Guadalupe River. Also the best water park in the state, and a couple miles away is the legendary river town of Gruene - home of the oldest dancehall in Texas and many many interesting shops. NB is worth the drive in any case.

Ahhhh thank you so Much
I'll call him tomorrow
Old 04-20-2015, 12:42 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

If Mike Henderson has any problems diagnosing the problem have him get on the forum and 8vette7 or Bill Curlee will tell him how to solve your issues.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by smartadze

Mike Henderson
1660 TX-337 Loop
New Braunfels, TX 78130
(830) 620-1117

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...gotjuice-.html

Possible steering column lock issue?

Last edited by Got uid0; 03-20-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To help! need good Corvette mechanic in San Antonio Tx.

Quick Reply: help! need good Corvette mechanic in San Antonio Tx.