C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden wire OBD-II and cell phone power for Torque app

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Pendexter
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hidden wire OBD-II and cell phone power for Torque app

Hey guys, I wanted to share with you a little project I did over the weekend.

My objective was to have the Torque app running on my phone, which will be mounted on the windshield. I figured it would be easy enough to get done, which is true... but it actually took some time for me to get it just right.

Note: Torque is Android only, Apple has something similar. For the OBD-II dongle, you need to get WIFI instead of bluetooth if you're using Apple products. I bought a $15 cheap knockoff dongle from Amazon and it works fine.

Torque is an app that uses bluetooth to connect to an OBD-II reader, which is connected to your car. It can check fault codes and get all of the readings that your car sends out. For example, it will give you throttle position, rpm, coolant temperature, inlet temperature, altitude, you can use it as a track recorder, etc. It has a ton of features, and I wanted them all. Oh, it also does 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, braking distance, track times (gps), etc...

The simplest solution is to go to Amazon, buy a bluetooth enabled OBD-II reader, and plug it into your OBD-II port under the steering column. I had a few constraints to work with, most notably that it looked nice and was convenient. I've noted the issues I came across and my thought process as an addendum at the end of this post.

------------------------------

Enough rambling... here is the final result:

Here's the phone with the micro-usb power plugged in. A 90 degree plug would have been cleaner, but wouldn't fit because of my phone case. It's accessory on power, so there's no worry about it draining your battery.

Here's the micro-usb cable when not in use. Not a perfect solution, but good enough for me.

Here's the bluetooth OBD-II dongle to the right of the shifter/cigarette lighter in the picture. The cover closes completely, it's easily accessible, and you can tell whether it's powered on.

I was doing an overhaul of the shifter assembly, (upper and lower housing, completely stripped and re-lubed) and had to take the center console cover off anyways. So I figure that this was the perfect time to route my wires/cables.

Froggy's video shows you how to take apart the center console. Froggy has some awesome videos...

Here's the center console, the red crimp connectors are connecting the black wire (the transformer) to the 22 gauge extention wires. The OBD-II wires will end up in the same area.

OBD-II:

I added an OBD-II extension cable
Amazon.com: Low Profile Right or Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 1'/30cm CAN Bus Compatible: Automotive Amazon.com: Low Profile Right or Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 1'/30cm CAN Bus Compatible: Automotive
under the steering column, and ran that cable back behind the dashboard area. I then filed down a corner of the ash tray opening (to the right of the cigarette lighter on the dash, and squeezed the end of the cable through. Then I plugged the dongle in, and used some duct tape to hold it in place.

Probably not the best explanation... but hopefully this picture helps:

You're looking at the console that covers the HVAC/radio, detached from the car. If you look to the right of the dongle, you can see the corner that I filed down by maybe a quarter inch to squeeze the connector end through.

Micro-USB power for cell phone:

I didn't want to use a cigarette lighter adapter, so I looked for ways to hard-wire a power source.

Here's a useful link I used to find a power source (post 38 in particular):
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-power-2.html

So what I did is I used this 12v to 5v transformer with a micro-usb attached to the end:
Amazon.com : HitCar DC 12V to 5V Power Inverter Mini / Micro USB DC 3.5 Hard Wired Converter Kit Car Charger Cable for GPS Tablet Phone PDA DVR Recorder (Micro USB Straight) : Electronics Amazon.com : HitCar DC 12V to 5V Power Inverter Mini / Micro USB DC 3.5 Hard Wired Converter Kit Car Charger Cable for GPS Tablet Phone PDA DVR Recorder (Micro USB Straight) : Electronics
You may want to go with a different product, as it was too short and I had to buy some extra 22 gauge wire to get it to reach the passenger foot well where the wires were located.

Wire the adapter to the power supply, and run it behind the console and snake it through to the dash where the cell phone mount will be located.

Again, not the best explanation... but here's a picture.

The red/white wire is connected to the neutral and 12v accessory on power supply. The picture is from below the passenger side foot well, and the silver box is the brains of the Vette. Take a look at post #38 of the link for details.

I'm happy with the result. I can use the Torque app whenever I want, I can turn the OBD-II reader on and off, and don't have to worry about it draining my battery. It was pretty easy, you just need to get everything ready before you start, and have a plan as to what you want out of the project.

Addendum: Problems/constraints during the design process.

Problem: The Bluetooth dongle is big and it's pretty easy to knock it with your knees. That might damage your OBD-II port.
Solution: Switch to a mini-bluetooth dongle. They are way shorter.

Problem: The bluetooth dongle draws a small amount of power, and might kill your battery if you don't drive it for a few days/weeks.
Solution: get a dongle with an on-off button.

Problem: The dongle is hidden under the steering column, and it's a pain to remember to turn the dongle on/off. Plus you can't see the light to know if it's on or off since it's under the steering column .
Solution: use a OBD-II extension cable to relocate the dongle.

Problem: The dongle still has a bright light, and it's annoying to look at when driving.
Solution: Locate it somewhere that's out of the way but still accessable. I ended up putting it in the center console where the ashtray goes.

Problem: Cell phone is being discharged and I need to power it. BUT, I don't want a large cigarette adapter cable running across my line of sight.
Solution: Get power from an accessory on 12V power supply, use a 12V to 5V transformer with a micro-usb cable at the other end.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I have that BT dongle collecting dust. I never really used it I should try again..

Quick Reply: Hidden wire OBD-II and cell phone power for Torque app