C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak at manifold to h-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:56 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Default Exhaust leak at manifold to h-pipe

I have been tracking down an exhaust leak after the rear main seal was replaced. Finally found it with how the donuts are seating into the h-pipe. The car is an 02 coupe with 130k on it. All stock.

The donuts do not sit flush with the flange on the h-pipe. Before I get new donuts, will new ones conform to the flange as the bolts are tightened?

Is there an exhaust past of some kind that can be used to seal the minor openings?

Gary
Old 06-02-2015, 03:13 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

I would take it back to whomever did the rear main seal and have them make it right... If they put the gaskets in wrong they should FIX it...
Old 06-02-2015, 03:18 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Or loosen them off and refasten...
You are speaking of the donuts that slip onto the exhaust before the ends are flared yes? The ones that you can't simply slide off and replace? Or am I not understanding this right?
Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I would take it back to whomever did the rear main seal and have them make it right... If they put the gaskets in wrong they should FIX it...
I gave them a shot to fix it. All they did was bend the studs which I have since replaced.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:24 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by grantv
Or loosen them off and refasten...
You are speaking of the donuts that slip onto the exhaust before the ends are flared yes? The ones that you can't simply slide off and replace? Or am I not understanding this right?
That is correct.

I would expect the donut to fit flush with the flange on the h-pipe. Both donuts do not sit flush with the flange on either side. Is it possible that the flanges are bent causing the seating issue?

Gary
Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm thinking that's unlikely unless they really wrenched on the exhaust somehow. I'm guessing (only) that if you loosened off the donut bolts, and maybe even removed the hanger under the rear of the motor, tighten the donuts then re-fasten the rear engine mount you should be good.
Hard to say for sure without seeing pictures though. There is always a chance they bent a flange I guess.
Don't know of any sealant for a ball and flange connection...
Old 06-02-2015, 05:44 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
I gave them a shot to fix it. All they did was bend the studs which I have since replaced.
Well, that would make me more than a little nervous about the job they did on the seal...
Take it to Midas or some local muffler shop... they should be able to fix that in about 15 minutes.....

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust leak at manifold to h-pipe

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak at manifold to h-pipe