C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Front Inner Tie Rods

Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Replacing Front Inner Tie Rods

My inner tie rods are loose so I'm replacing them with the MOOG replacements. I'm a little confused by a couple steps in the removal and installation Specifically:

Caution: Do not change the rack bearing preload adjustment before removing the inner tie rod from the steering rack. This could cause damage to the pinion or the steering rack or both.

Note: Do not hold the steering rack while removing the inner tie rod if the preload adjustment has not been changed.
How do I avoid doing this? I bought the special removal tool. Do I just put it on and turn counter clockwise not needing to put a wrench to stop anything on the rack from moving?

Install a torque wrench (5) to the J 34028 to tighten the inner tie rod.
Hold the rack (3) while tightening the tie rod (4) as shown.

Tighten
Tighten the inner tie rod (6) to 100 N·m (74 lb ft)
So I'm not supposed to hold the rack while removing but am when installing/torquing? Since I'm doing this later and I don't have the picture from the FSM I'm just trying to get an understanding of what I'm doing.

Removal Procedure

Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with suitable safety stands.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
Note: After removing the boot, inspect the inner tie rod for evidence of corrosion or contamination. If none is evident, continue with the repair. If corrosion or contamination is evident, replace the steering gear.

Remove the rack and pinion boot. Refer to Rack and Pinion Boot Replacement.
Caution: Do not change the rack bearing preload adjustment before removing the inner tie rod from the steering rack. This could cause damage to the pinion or the steering rack or both.

Remove the shock dampener (2) from the inner tie rod (5).
Slide the shock dampener (2) back onto the rack (1).
Note: Do not hold the steering rack while removing the inner tie rod if the preload adjustment has not been changed.

Remove the inner tie rod (5) from the rack assembly (1) as follows:
• Place a wrench on the flats of the inner tie rod housing (4).

• Rotate the inner tie rod housing (4) counterclockwise until the inner tie rod (5) separates from the rack.

Remove the old LOCTITE® from the threads (2) of the rack (1) and the inner tie rod (3).

Installation Procedure
Note: Make sure the shock dampener is on the rack before installing the inner tie rod.

The threads must be clean prior to the LOCTITE® application. Check the LOCTITE®, or equivalent, container for expiration date. Use only enough LOCTITE® to evenly coat the threads.

Apply LOCTITE® 262, or equivalent, to the inner tie rod threads (2).
Install the inner tie rod (3) to the rack and pinion (1).
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.

Install a torque wrench (5) to the J 34028 to tighten the inner tie rod.
Hold the rack (3) while tightening the tie rod (4) as shown.

Tighten
Tighten the inner tie rod (6) to 100 N·m (74 lb ft).

Slide the shock dampener (2) over the inner tie rod housing (3) until the front lip of the shock dampener bottoms out against the inner tie rod housing.
Install the rack and pinion boot. Refer to Rack and Pinion Boot Replacement.
Install the tire and wheel assembly to the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
Remove the safety stands.
Lower the vehicle.
Check the wheel alignment. Refer to Wheel Alignment Measurement.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

So I did this last night. It wasn't too difficult. I didn't hold the rack in place when torquing the inner back on. I'm not sure how you would even do that as there's no flats on the rack to keep it from moving.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:40 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Great post, thanks - I'm about to pull my steering rack to replace the harmonic balancer, AC compressor and I need new outer tie rods so I might as well replace the inner ones while I'm at it. Any other gotchas I should know about?
Old 07-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ericdwong
Great post, thanks - I'm about to pull my steering rack to replace the harmonic balancer, AC compressor and I need new outer tie rods so I might as well replace the inner ones while I'm at it. Any other gotchas I should know about?
Well my inners may not have been as bad as I originally thought. I replaced the outers and the passenger side inner seemed extremely loose from what the other side felt. The Moog replacements are definitely tighter but I may have replaced the inners for no reason.

There's nothing special to it. I would definitely recommend renting or buying an inner tie rod tool. I bought one for $50 off Amazon. I had to use that tool to help get the plastic shock dampener off the flats. That was the hardest part. Again, the instructions state not to hold the rack when removing the tie rod but said you want to when reinstalling as so not to damage the rack and pinion. I couldn't see how you would hold the rack in place because it was round and there weren't any flats. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't do any damage. I'll find out tomorrow when the dealership does an alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Front Inner Tie Rods

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Front Inner Tie Rods