C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock exhaust removal--A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 06:07 PM
mozart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock exhaust removal--A4

Getting ready to self install loudmouths. I have available a drive on ramp/lift that will raise the car overhead. My question is will the stock exhaust come off without cutting to clear the a4? I would like to keep it in one piece in case I want to re-install it. I read in prievious posts that the heat shielding on the a4 has to be removed also for removal/ clearance to get it by the tranny and that the stock pipes have to be cut if the car is not raised far enough. any advise would be most helpful. thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:12 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: Stock exhaust removal--A4 (mozart)

Sometimes yes, sometimes, no. I had to cut the driver side to get mine off. But I've read plenty of posts of guys getting them off without cutting, but I suspect that these are all MN6 cars. Mine is an auto.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:43 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I think if you can lift it more than a few feet, you should be able to remove the pipes without cutting. :yesnod: :)
Old 08-21-2002, 06:49 PM
CAracer
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Stock exhaust removal--A4 (carpe dm)

I had mine changed at West Coast Corvettes a few weeks back. It didn't take the mechnic more than ten minutes to complete the install. Mines an
A-4 as well. You shouldn't have to cut anyting.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:04 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Stock exhaust removal--A4 (CAracer)

same as CAracer; on a lift I removed my stock exhaust and installed the Z06 titanuims in less that 30 minutes... with no cutting.

I can't see why it would matter if it is an A4 or 6 speed. When rotating the mufflers to remove, they don't get near the tranny.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:24 PM
Wolf1171
Le Mans Master

Location: Winter Jam I and II Veteran, Bahama Jam 2005 Veteran
CI 4, 5, 7, 9 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08

Default Re: Stock exhaust removal--A4 (Mike Mercury)

Just had mine done today and all you have to do is loosen the rear sway bar to get the exhaust out without cutting. Of course, it needs to be about 3' up so you can manuever it.

Old 08-21-2002, 08:13 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: Stock exhaust removal--A4 (Wolf1171)

That seems correct. I think the reason that mine had to be cut to get the left side off is because I was not high enough to get sufficient clearance to rotate that side up and out. The transmission type probably does not make any differance.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

To be honest, I thought I wanted to keep mine as well. The truth is, the stock exhaust is sooooo cheap, you'll prolly find that the welds are cracked and it's not worth the effort to try and extract them in one piece. Cut 'em off.

Later, if you decide you want to go back to stock, go visit the "C5 Parts for sale" section. They're giving 'em away over there.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock exhaust removal--A4

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust removal--A4