C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is A4 Fluid Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 03:12 PM
ingalls71
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is A4 Fluid Temperature

I have a trans cooling issue with my 01 on track days. Speaking with Derale they informed me that the temp reading should come from inside the transmission. It should not come from the fluid as it leaves or as it leaves the torque converter. When my display shows temps of +250 it could be coming from the converter which wouldn't be to abnormal. However if it is reading the fluid temp from inside the trans then there is a problem So where is the sensor? In the trans or at the fluid exit?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:24 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I'm pretty sure the sensor is inside the trans at the discharge of the pump. Yes it will be hotter there then it would be sitting in the pan, but that is the fluid that is being pumped to the valve body/components. I'm quite sure GM out the temp sending unit it where they did for a reason and I would stick to those numbers.

Get you a B&M 70297 trans cooler with the fan, that should help cool your temps. However on race track use, you may need two coolers.

You really want your trans at 200* or less if you're gonna be beating on it a lot.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Trans temp

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I'm pretty sure the sensor is inside the trans at the discharge of the pump. Yes it will be hotter there then it would be sitting in the pan, but that is the fluid that is being pumped to the valve body/components. I'm quite sure GM out the temp sending unit it where they did for a reason and I would stick to those numbers.

Get you a B&M 70297 trans cooler with the fan, that should help cool your temps. However on race track use, you may need two coolers.

You really want your trans at 200* or less if you're gonna be beating on it a lot.

You say trans temp should be 200 or less. How is this even possible when the trans cooler is in the radiator and the water temp is usually 210 to 215 on a hot day. Am I wrong and the factory trans cooler is not in the radiator. What are the temps people are seeing on the street. Just had my trans serviced and I am seeing 220 on a road trip at highway speeds.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:38 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

170* - 180* on an 85° day just cruising around town. I have a PML extra deep pan. It holds almost 4 extra quarts of trans fluid. Plus I bypassed the radiator and have a B and M super cooler upfront where the license plate is cut out of the bumper cover. My cooler gets lots of nice fresh air.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Perkins
You say trans temp should be 200 or less. How is this even possible when the trans cooler is in the radiator and the water temp is usually 210 to 215 on a hot day. Am I wrong and the factory trans cooler is not in the radiator. What are the temps people are seeing on the street. Just had my trans serviced and I am seeing 220 on a road trip at highway speeds.
Yes, from the factory on a bone stock car, I am sure you will see 220+ trans temps.... That may also be why the stock transmissions don't last very long once you start making decent power with them.

RPM Transmissions (builds the best 4l60s) always recommends to keep your trans temps under 200* to keep the fluid and clutches happy... That may error to the conservative side but...I'd say they know best since they build 4L60s that hold 3x the power of a stock 4l60.

I doubt you will have any real issues with your temps running at 220* if you don't beat on the car much or its not making a lot more power then stock, however, if you want to get the trans temps down, you need to get the trans fluid out of the radiator (which is heating the trans fluid to 210+ on its own), add an external cooler.

With my external cooler, on average I see 150-160* trans temps... On a 95* day in bumper to bumper traffic with my loose converter, I MAY see 175*. Highest I have ever seen was 190* and that was intentionally running with the fan off just to see how high the temp would go with out it, in extreme bumper to bumper traffic. I have only seen 180* a hand full of times.

On another note, my F150 sees 195* trans temp on average. I have seen 205* towing my vette.

Last edited by ajrothm; 09-10-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:38 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ingalls71
So where is the sensor? In the trans or at the fluid exit?
The trans temp sensor is in the pressure switch which is mounted onto the bottom of the valve body. As such it is measuring the temp of the fluid in the pan.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:43 PM
enoniam
Pro

You say trans temp should be 200 or less. How is this even possible when the trans cooler is in the radiator and the water temp is usually 210 to 215 on a hot day.
The purpose of the radiator is to remove heat from the coolant before it re-enters the engine, where it absorbs heat from the engine. When coolant absorbs heat it gets hotter. When heat is removed it gets cooler. The coolant temp sensor is located in a position where the coolant has already absorbed heat from the engine. As such it is not the temperature of the coolant going into the engine, which will be lower. The stock tranny cooler in the radiator is getting cooled by coolant that has already had heat removed by the radiator and therefore is not the temperature you see in the cluster.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by enoniam
The purpose of the radiator is to remove heat from the coolant before it re-enters the engine, where it absorbs heat from the engine. When coolant absorbs heat it gets hotter. When heat is removed it gets cooler. The coolant temp sensor is located in a position where the coolant has already absorbed heat from the engine. As such it is not the temperature of the coolant going into the engine, which will be lower. The stock tranny cooler in the radiator is getting cooled by coolant that has already had heat removed by the radiator and therefore is not the temperature you see in the cluster.

Thanks for the info, my trans temp is 210-220 while driving in 95 degree outside temp. According to my manual 250 is the max temp. Just had the trans service and Dex 6 installed. Do you see a problem with the trans temp?
Old 09-28-2015, 04:24 PM
enoniam
Pro

Thanks for the info, my trans temp is 210-220 while driving in 95 degree outside temp. According to my manual 250 is the max temp. Just had the trans service and Dex 6 installed. Do you see a problem with the trans temp?
I was seeing temps like that and went ahead and got an aux tranny cooler as ajrothm did, although mine doesn't have a fan on it. It's mounted in front of the A/C condenser. It's lowered the temps over 10 degrees - not as much as one with a fan mounted to it would be. I really don't like seeing temps above 200 - now I'm not seeing those very often.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:44 AM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by junk c5
170* - 180* on an 85° day just cruising around town. I have a PML extra deep pan. It holds almost 4 extra quarts of trans fluid. Plus I bypassed the radiator and have a B and M super cooler upfront where the license plate is cut out of the bumper cover. My cooler gets lots of nice fresh air.
Can you post a photo of the front of your vette with the cooler?
Also, what is the part number of your cooler? I'm going to install a 3000 stall speed TC in the near future and I'm trying to see what others have done. There's not much space for a tranny cooler.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Where is A4 Fluid Temperature

Quick Reply: Where is A4 Fluid Temperature