C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor clutch -- how far should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 02:47 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default A/C compressor clutch -- how far should I go?

Fresh off pulling and reinstalling everything in front of the engine except the ABS unit (re-sealed ps rack, new ps pump, new water pump, new belts, new reservoir, etc.), two week later the A/C compressor clutch starts making a h*ll of a screeching/rattling racket when the clutch is disengaged. Sigh. So back in we go.

From what I've read so far, the clutch is not available/replaceable separate from the compressor. Assuming that is true, I'm looking at replacing the compressor.

My question: If I pull the compressor and don't find evidence of an internally-failed compressor, how much farther should I go with parts replacement? Accumulator/drier? Orifice tube? Other?

Or is this discussion a waste of time because if the clutch is screaming, the compressor's bearing(s) are toast and the compressor itself is dead/spreading debris?
Old 10-20-2015, 02:56 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I had this same problem. You will need to flush the whole system once you expose it to the atmosphere. Also, the accumulator needs to be replaced every time the system is exposed. The orifice tube is a cheap part to replace while you have everything apart.

If your compressor's clutch is going out, chances are the rest of it isn't far behind. Not worth replacing the clutch only. When purchasing a new compressor, I would highly recommend a Delphi.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:27 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

That is exactly what I expected/was afraid of! Now to try to find time to work the job into schedule ...

Thanks for the quick feedback,
Mark

Get notified of new replies

To A/C compressor clutch -- how far should I go?

Quick Reply: A/C compressor clutch -- how far should I go?