C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly Control Arm Bushings - Do They Squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 12:45 PM
beachfun
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly Control Arm Bushings - Do They Squeak?

Was hoping to hear from C5 owners that actually have these installed for at least a year or two - will they squeak after a few years?

My chassis has 130k+ miles on it and am doing driveline swap and coilover upgrade. Suspension is out and now is a good time to upgrade bushings (16 years old).

I have read lots of threads.. most were people that had just put them in. Was wondering what long term results were.

I was looking at kits from Zip - they are graphite/poly. Or energy suspension.

I have used poly in Jeeps and trucks and yes sometimes they squeak/make noise but the suspensions also has a lot more travel. So really only looking for input from people that have them in C5's

THANK YOU!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I bought the ridetech teflon impregnated delrin from a forum vendor as other forum members that have used teflon/delrin tell me that they do not squeek. I have not put mine in yet and won't until racing season is over, but the feedback from forum members that I have asked has all been positive.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...315&ModelID=11
Old 10-25-2015, 03:53 AM
Deputy_Dangle
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a set of Prothane bushings installed for about 2 years and yes they squeak, a lot. It's only annoying over very bumpy roads though, as long as you're on decent pavement you shouldn't hear much out of them.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:12 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

have never had issue with energy suspension bushings squeaking in any car. they have grooved grease retention slots and if you relube every 10-20k miles they are quiet

like them on bars, hate them on control arms. poly wears due to the friction fit design. i wasted a set on a honda so bad that after 40k miles you could literally move the lower control arm about 1/4 inch
Old 10-25-2015, 06:05 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

I just did poly front sway bar bushings on my lifted 4 runner - the kit had pre-drilled fittings for zerks. Years ago I put poly A-arm bushings on my 72 vette and they squeaked like mad...
Old 10-26-2015, 09:14 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I have the poly sway bar bushings and have had them since about 2010. They ABSOLUTELY do squeak even with grease between the bar and bushing. The original grease lasted perhaps 8 months before the bar started squeaking. I have tried several different grease products and none last much longer than 8 or 9 months before the squeaking returns. I recently (last month or so) wrapped the bar with yellow teflon tape so I cannot tell you yet how that will last. Yellow because it is far more resistant to deterioration from petroleum products.
Are your bushings zerked?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:17 AM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by beachfun
Was hoping to hear from C5 owners that actually have these installed for at least a year or two - will they squeak after a few years?

My chassis has 130k+ miles on it and am doing driveline swap and coilover upgrade. Suspension is out and now is a good time to upgrade bushings (16 years old).

I have read lots of threads.. most were people that had just put them in. Was wondering what long term results were.

I was looking at kits from Zip - they are graphite/poly. Or energy suspension.

I have used poly in Jeeps and trucks and yes sometimes they squeak/make noise but the suspensions also has a lot more travel. So really only looking for input from people that have them in C5's

THANK YOU!

Poly will also take set. What I mean by this is, if a load is put on it in a constant direction, the sleeve inside the bushing will keep moving the direction the of the load. Over time, a gap will develop and the amount of play in the suspension will increase. Rubber won't take set, but has a lot more deflection. Poly also has deflection, just not as much as Poly. We do the Delrin to eliminate it all the deflection and noise. http://www.ridetech.com/store/c5-cor...shing-kit.html
Old 10-26-2015, 10:26 AM
beachfun
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney@ridetech
Poly will also take set. What I mean by this is, if a load is put on it in a constant direction, the sleeve inside the bushing will keep moving the direction the of the load. Over time, a gap will develop and the amount of play in the suspension will increase. Rubber won't take set, but has a lot more deflection. Poly also has deflection, just not as much as Poly. We do the Delrin to eliminate it all the deflection and noise. http://www.ridetech.com/store/c5-cor...shing-kit.html
They are nice but just too much money at this point. Either staying stock or poly - on a budget here.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:14 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Marine grease is the best. I had the Pfadt poly-graphite control arm bushings and they did not squeak after a year. Sold car so cannot comment on longer duration. The extra precise control made my C5Z track like a go-kart. Moving forward I will likely install Delrin CA bushings from Ridetech.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:49 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by beachfun
They are nice but just too much money at this point. Either staying stock or poly - on a budget here.
stay stock everywhere but sway bars. those are easy to change out if need be

as stated above poly takes a set and it wears from the friction fit which just exacerbates the set. once you get some play in the bushing it goes from being firm and precise to worse than stock
Old 10-26-2015, 05:35 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

many people have had great results using Teflon tape instead of grease for the sway bar bushings. now for control arm bushings, you don't really have much of a choice but to use grease since they aren't as easy to access. I'd put zerk fittings in the control arms if you put poly bushings there unless you want to take the control arms off every few months to re-grease the bushings.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:33 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

As far as I know, poly control arm bushings are not used in any top level pro racing vehicles......that should tell you something.

I agree with Ridetech's response...poly does take a set and they do deform over time. The squeaking is just a bonus to remind you of what's to come.

Get notified of new replies

To Poly Control Arm Bushings - Do They Squeak?

Quick Reply: Poly Control Arm Bushings - Do They Squeak?