C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Determining if ride height is in acceptable range for Viking Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:08 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Determining if ride height is in acceptable range for Viking Shocks

I just purchased Viking Warrior double adjustable shocks for my Z06. The front and rear shocks have recommended ride heights, and I want to make sure I am within that range. The car is lowered on WCC bolts but not slammed by any means.

What would I measure to determine true ride height?

Front

Recommended Ride Height (IN.): 13-1/2 - 14-3/4

Rear

Recommended Ride Height (IN.): 13 - 14 1/8
Old 01-05-2016, 10:30 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I have only seen these mentioned recently, the measurements are odd, doesn't the literature or company tell what to measure?

If they are made for a C5, and car not slammed, I would think they would be fine.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I have only seen these mentioned recently, the measurements are odd, doesn't the literature or company tell what to measure?

If they are made for a C5, and car not slammed, I would think they would be fine.
The docs that came with the shocks do not seem to be Corvette specific I wanted to verify ride height because right now I barely get any movement with Bilstein HD shocks, and need the suspension to operate properly for help with traction.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:50 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

I raised mine up, it was slammed when I got mine. It made the ride a lot better, then when I added the DRMs it was even better. It is still lowered, just not slammed.

Since you already have them, I would just install and see how they feel. If they are bottoming out, then raise the car up some until you get a good combo.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I raised mine up, it was slammed when I got mine. It made the ride a lot better, then when I added the DRMs it was even better. It is still lowered, just not slammed.

Since you already have them, I would just install and see how they feel. If they are bottoming out, then raise the car up some until you get a good combo.
This. 😚 If you set the car too low the suspension geometry gets z bit out of range and the spring rate on the cool over is also slightly changed and yes you can get the shock to not work as well. Lower the car about 2 inches from stock and its a good performer. Slammed looks cool but doesn't work well. I've got the phat coil overs with hotchkiss sway bars at this ride height and the c5 ride and handling is all I have guts to try😳
Old 01-06-2016, 08:21 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by nullpointer
I just purchased Viking Warrior double adjustable shocks for my Z06. The front and rear shocks have recommended ride heights, and I want to make sure I am within that range. The car is lowered on WCC bolts but not slammed by any means.

What would I measure to determine true ride height?

Front

Recommended Ride Height (IN.): 13-1/2 - 14-3/4

Rear

Recommended Ride Height (IN.): 13 - 14 1/8

What are these measurements based on??

The factory measures "ride height" from the center of the lower a-arm pivot bolts (front and rear) to the ground, and even a lifted 4WD truck wouldn't be THAT high. And the "top of the fender to the ground" method is in the 26" neighborhood, so that reference point wouldn't work...........
Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

I agree, that is what I said. Since they are not Vette specific, who knows what these refer to.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:29 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
What are these measurements based on??

The factory measures "ride height" from the center of the lower a-arm pivot bolts (front and rear) to the ground, and even a lifted 4WD truck wouldn't be THAT high. And the "top of the fender to the ground" method is in the 26" neighborhood, so that reference point wouldn't work...........
I'll call them this week and ask where they got those from, I also have a feeling they are not for a corvette.

Thanks for how the factory measures ride height, good info

Get notified of new replies

To Determining if ride height is in acceptable range for Viking Shocks

Quick Reply: Determining if ride height is in acceptable range for Viking Shocks