C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Low Oil Pressure" warning, gauge dropped to 0-10psi, no engine clattering

Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 PM
mkstvnsn
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Low Oil Pressure" warning, gauge dropped to 0-10psi, no engine clattering

Just took my 2000 for a drive and got the LOW OIL PRESSURE warning. The gauge was around 10-15psi and I pulled over and turned the car off immediately. Fired it up about 10 minutes later and it was at 0 psi.

I checked the oil level and it was fine. There was no discernible engine clattering. Im hoping its just the pressure sender, but last time that broke a few years back the oil pressure was pegged at the max not at 0.

If there is no noise, could I drive it to a shop? Or would that just be stupid? The car is parked in a park that closes with a locked gate so I had to leave it there overnight since I Couldn't get a tow before they closed.

I did get the rear main seal replaced a few months ago, so Im wondering if that's related.

Last edited by mkstvnsn; 03-13-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:06 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

A problem with the sensor can result in 0 oil pressure indication. Normally you get a maximum reading. I think it is your sensor.

Check for your dash codes. I bet you have P0522 or P05523.

Mr. Sam
Old 03-14-2016, 01:58 PM
mkstvnsn
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo
A problem with the sensor can result in 0 oil pressure indication. Normally you get a maximum reading. I think it is your sensor.

Check for your dash codes. I bet you have P0522 or P05523.

Mr. Sam
I hope it's just the sensor. I didn't let the car run long enough to start listening to awful noises. Being that I had the RMS replaced recently is worrisome though.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:18 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by mkstvnsn
Just took my 2000 for a drive and got the LOW OIL PRESSURE warning. The gauge was around 10-15psi and I pulled over and turned the car off immediately. Fired it up about 10 minutes later and it was at 0 psi.

I checked the oil level and it was fine. There was no discernible engine clattering. Im hoping its just the pressure sender, but last time that broke a few years back the oil pressure was pegged at the max not at 0.

If there is no noise, could I drive it to a shop? Or would that just be stupid? The car is parked in a park that closes with a locked gate so I had to leave it there overnight since I Couldn't get a tow before they closed.

I did get the rear main seal replaced a few months ago, so Im wondering if that's related.
Depends how mechanically inclined you are, if you are I would have the car towed to the house and start troubleshooting. Here is a thread of what I did when I ran into comparable symptoms.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-advice.html
Old 03-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

When I bought my 2000 is was off a 2 years lease and with 13000 miles I had a similar problem.....was at an autocross and went to start car for second run and 0 OP. Several of my local club members mentioned there was a silent recall on some bad oil pumps and it was replaced under warranty. 21000 miles and 2000+ autocross runs later it is still running strong.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are a couple of ways you can prove OIL PRESSURE.

1. There a Pressure port on the front drivers side of the block, below and forward of the coolant temp sensor on the head. You can remove that plug and install a gage.

2. Remove the FUEL PUMP RELAY. Crank the engine to be sure that all fuel pressure is gone and the engine will not run. Remove the oil filter. Put a PAN under the engine (below the oil filter mounting area.
Have some one CRANK the engine while you put your thumb over the threaded pipe that the filter screws on to. If you have oil pressure, you will NOT be able to hold the oil back & you will (should) have a very good volume of oil!

Some things that will cause ZERO oil pressure.

- Damaged or disconnected OPS connector. Look behind the intake and see if its connected.

- STUCK OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE. The pressure relief valve is inside the pump. Its a SLIDE that is closed by a spring. If something solid gets stuck between the slide and the oil pressure housing, you will have very low or NO oil pressure.

- Bad pick up tube seal.

- The OPS uses a 5 VDC reff supply voltage that is supplied by the PCM. If something causes that 5 VDC Reff voltage to go away, you will see NO OIL PRESSURE. Been there done that.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-15-2016 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mkstvnsn (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:46 PM
sparkomatik
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a new 408 stroker LS2 with no oil pressure upon initial startup. Mechanical gauge also reads nothing. With the filter off oil dribbles out the outer hole and nothing from the threaded nipple. Thoughts???
Old 03-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would recheck the OIL PUMP PICK UP tube and make sure that the O ring is not pinched. If you check the O ring and its fine, you need to take the pump apart and make sure that the relief valve isn't stuck open.

Here is a cut away that shows how it all fits together:

Old 03-17-2016, 05:36 PM
mkstvnsn
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There are a couple of ways you can prove OIL PRESSURE.

1. There a Pressure port on the front drivers side of the block, below and forward of the coolant temp sensor on the head. You can remove that plug and install a gage.

2. Remove the FUEL PUMP RELAY. Crank the engine to be sure that all fuel pressure is gone and the engine will not run. Remove the oil filter. Put a PAN under the engine (below the oil filter mounting area.
Have some one CRANK the engine while you put your thumb over the threaded pipe that the filter screws on to. If you have oil pressure, you will NOT be able to hold the oil back & you will (should) have a very good volume of oil!

Some things that will cause ZERO oil pressure.

- Damaged or disconnected OPS connector. Look behind the intake and see if its connected.

- STUCK OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE. The pressure relief valve is inside the pump. Its a SLIDE that is closed by a spring. If something solid gets stuck between the slide and the oil pressure housing, you will have very low or NO oil pressure.

- Bad pick up tube seal.

- The OPS uses a 5 VDC reff supply voltage that is supplied by the PCM. If something causes that 5 VDC Reff voltage to go away, you will see NO OIL PRESSURE. Been there done that.
Thanks everyone. The car sat for a day and I towed the car to the shop. They told me that there was oil pressure and they ran it for almost an hour and there was no drop in pressure -- even the gauge was working. Does this shed any insight? Im going to ask if they know about the pressure port on the front of the block to see if they know about that area where they can add a gauge.. But its weird that the OPS gauge now reads properly. Apparently.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mkstvnsn
Thanks everyone. The car sat for a day and I towed the car to the shop. They told me that there was oil pressure and they ran it for almost an hour and there was no drop in pressure -- even the gauge was working. Does this shed any insight? Im going to ask if they know about the pressure port on the front of the block to see if they know about that area where they can add a gauge.. But its weird that the OPS gauge now reads properly. Apparently.
Hard to say what it was. The relief valve could have been stuck. Who knows. Just hope it doesn't happen again!

BC
Old 03-17-2016, 07:58 PM
derz_vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Did your car overheat?

Get notified of new replies

To "Low Oil Pressure" warning, gauge dropped to 0-10psi, no engine clattering

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Low Oil Pressure" warning, gauge dropped to 0-10psi, no engine clattering