C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e stage 5 not going into 4th/OD

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:23 PM
C5stroker
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4l60e stage 5 not going into 4th/OD

I recently blew out my flexplate. In the process stretched my tranny cable. My car has very odd quirks. Like when it first starts up it NEEDS to be left in park until up to operaterting temp or it'll stall right out. 408 stroker with giant cam. Well I tried rigging the cable back up and had a hard time but I thought I had it.. Park is park reverse is reverse and neutral and drive are neutral and I THOUGHT 3rd was drive... well let's start here. Went to fire the car up. And it kept stalling out like it was in gear but key came in and and out until I slammed the shifter as hard forward as I could it warmed up as normal. Pulled out of driveway finding my so called drive took about a minute while sitting in the road. Car seemed to run fine. Was going about 70mph and matted it. Car got to about 95mph and bounced off the rpms at 6500 and I let right off and it didn't go into neutral it just wasn't even attempting to shift.. making me think it wasn't in drive but actually 3rd and I missed drive compeltely while doing the rig of a job while waiting to find a cable.. i am down about a quart and a half of trsnny fluid because i did this whole job on a unleveld driveway on jackstands. So getting fluid in a tilting tranny=impossible. but my question is do these trannys shift normal but not go higher then 3rd when driving around in 3rd? This would end my suspision. Because it not being fully engaged in park "I think" for warned me this cruise wasn't going to go well.. does this sound accurate? I'm thinking of just installing a old-school slam shifter in it since I'm going to be taking the whole damn thing apart anyway. Deciding if I should just keep it as is aND replace stock broken cable or just go for a slam shifter. I'm getting tired of the *** end coming out not knowing if it's going to go in 1st or 2nd when I mat it. It's getting dangerous but I'm not seeing anyone installing these in these cars. My stage 5 trans is setup for a shift kit

Last edited by C5stroker; 04-24-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:45 AM
FutureOWNR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The cable and cable geometry is crucial to this transmission. If it is stretched, replace it. The cable controls the line pressure in your trans and if the pressure is to high or to low it will never work properly. Use an OEM bracket and make sure the fluid level is full. Low fluid also causes shifting issues.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:49 AM
FutureOWNR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, you can eliminate any electronic issue by verifying the computer is commanding 4th gear. You would need a good scan tool or TranX to verify command. If the computer doesn't command 4th, it will never shift.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:28 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureOWNR
The cable and cable geometry is crucial to this transmission. If it is stretched, replace it. The cable controls the line pressure in your trans and if the pressure is to high or to low it will never work properly. Use an OEM bracket and make sure the fluid level is full. Low fluid also causes shifting issues.
The computer controls the line pressure...

The cable just needs to get it to the proper gear detent.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Hotrod6616
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you leaving the shifter in 3rd and not drive it will not go into overdrive. As far as acting funny while shifting my car was about a quart low on trans fluid once and it was very lazy and didn't want to shift, I had to let out for it to go into overdrive and if I was on a hill it would go in and out of overdrive. I'm assuming that's because it had just enough fluid to go into overdrive but not stay. Just my experience.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:33 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uid-level.html
Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 PM
C5stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by FutureOWNR
Thanks cars been sitting since that day just got my ratchet shifter in and 8 ft cable I'm gonna conevert to a ratchet shifter while I'm doing all of this
Old 05-01-2016, 01:33 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

A rachet shifter in a C5? The only one I've ever heard of in a street driven car was done by England Green back in 2006. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...up-no-way.html I would be very interested in a rachet shifter also but it was a VERY difficult job and required lots of BBB (Big Brass *****) as there were permanent modifications that were required along with some welding skills.

If you indeed are going to do this, would you mind taking some pics as you go along so the rest of us might have an idea how hard or easy it is? I suppose its possible someone has now come out with an easy to use kit which would be great, but I'm not aware of it. Please share info... Thanks
Old 05-03-2016, 05:21 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5stroker
Thanks cars been sitting since that day just got my ratchet shifter in and 8 ft cable I'm gonna conevert to a ratchet shifter while I'm doing all of this
Might I inquire what kind of rachet shifter you purchased?
Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 PM
C5stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by CactusCat
A rachet shifter in a C5? The only one I've ever heard of in a street driven car was done by England Green back in 2006. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...up-no-way.html I would be very interested in a rachet shifter also but it was a VERY difficult job and required lots of BBB (Big Brass *****) as there were permanent modifications that were required along with some welding skills.

If you indeed are going to do this, would you mind taking some pics as you go along so the rest of us might have an idea how hard or easy it is? I suppose its possible someone has now come out with an easy to use kit which would be great, but I'm not aware of it. Please share info... Thanks
Hey I got the ratchet installed if you want some pics... deffinetly took some brass ***** to do it. Only hard part about the whole thing was getting it to fit in a decent spot had to cut the floor to get it in there but it looks mint and it drives like a beast. Shifts much faster then the stock and sliding up to neutral
Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 PM
C5stroker
Advanced

Might I inquire what kind of rachet shifter you purchased?
I bought the b&m pro-ratchet shifter it's all installed took alot of modification to the floorboard and dash disassembly but it wasn't to bad. If you don't know what your doing I highly advice against it
Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Would appreciate some pics of the install if you have them, or at least some of the finished product. How much did you have to cut up the bezel?
Old 05-17-2016, 01:54 PM
C5stroker
Advanced

Would appreciate some pics of the install if you have them, or at least some of the finished product. How much did you have to cut up the bezel?
The interior I didn't have to cut at all. It was the floorboard because the cable is now looped instead of a straight unit. So it needed to fit and it was tight up towards the center console so had to do some the fabbing. Bezel I don't think I touched
Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 621 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To 4l60e stage 5 not going into 4th/OD

Quick Reply: 4l60e stage 5 not going into 4th/OD