C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Fabetoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery.

Exactly one week ago, I started trying to get the new Delco glass mat battery for my ride as I did not want to have to contend with the many problems associated with a leaker. I couldn't use an Optima as my car has the chrome battery cover from Design Specialties which will not fit over top posts. So I went to AC Delco's web site and quickly found the correct battery and number. I then asked my nephew, who is a parts manager for a Volkswagon Dealership here in town, to see if he could get it for me from one of the Chevy dealers and save me a few dollars. To make a long story short after seven days he was finally able to get the battery. It seems that all the Chey dealers are not aware that such a battery even exists for the Corvette much less that Delco makes it. He said he finally convinced one of the Chevy parts managers to call Delco and inquire. My cost after his discount is $104.00. No wonder Chevy service is so pitiful. It seems the parts department is as bad as the sales end in not knowing the product they handle and sell. I thought I would just give everyone a heads up. Thanks for listening. :seeya
Old 09-06-2002, 01:28 AM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery. (Fabetoy)

My dealer was sure aware of it, he wanted a $157.00 for it! Like you I used ACDelco website and got the name of a small local shop that is a Delco dealer. He sold it to me (75P-7YR) for $98.45 plus tax. ($106.33 total).

I sleep much better now not having nightmares about acid flooding my PCM, melting my wiring, and flattening my purse!
Old 09-06-2002, 11:48 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When mine had to be replaced there was only one (1) in the state of Texas and the dealer got it shipped. It has been in the car for 10 months with no problems. My first AGM was a sick puppy (low voltage) and it had to be replaced. I dd not get stuck for the bill but understand it was about $150.

2001 Black/black Coupe
Old 09-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Casper001
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery. (redriverjohn)

My dealer was sure aware of it, he wanted a $157.00 for it! Like you I used ACDelco website and got the name of a small local shop that is a Delco dealer. He sold it to me (75P-7YR) for $98.45 plus tax. ($106.33 total).

I sleep much better now not having nightmares about acid flooding my PCM, melting my wiring, and flattening my purse!
I thought the glass mat batter was named 75P-7YR AGM?
Old 09-06-2002, 12:01 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery. (timbrwolf9)

My invoice shows only: 75P-7YR. The label on the top of the battery includes the "AGM" under the stock number in small letters.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:29 PM
jlfrogy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the dealer yesterday and they don't seem to like the new Delco glass mat. they said they go dead real quick if you don't use it. Just what I heard.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Turbo5
Drifting

I got one and it works great! Price was bad, $135 but wth considering it is sitting on top of the PCM!!! My Chevy dealer also claimed he had never heard of the battery. I had to get it from a battery store/local repair shop.

:cheers:

[Modified by Turbo5, 10:49 AM 9/6/2002]
Old 09-07-2002, 02:11 AM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wondering why some people are replacing the battery with a 75P-7YR?

The stock battery is a group 78 battery with 600 CCA, while the 75P-7YR is a group 75 with 550 CCA and about 1.4" shorter in length, whereas the 78P-7YR is a group 78 with 650 CCA and the same size as the original.

[Modified by 2KFRC5, 10:22 PM 9/6/2002]
Old 09-07-2002, 02:15 AM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery. (jlfrogy)

I was at the dealer yesterday and they don't seem to like the new Delco glass mat. they said they go dead real quick if you don't use it. Just what I heard.
B-A-T-T-E-R-Y T-E-N-D-E-R 59 bux
Old 09-07-2002, 02:39 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery. (2KFRC5)

If you go to

http://www.acdelco.com

and enter your year, make , and model of C5, you'll see that the only AGM selection is the 75P7YR. Remember that thickening the plates in a battery is often necessary to extend the battery's life, particularly if a size constraint is necessary. The small downside is a slight reduction in CCAs. However, the added life outweighs the decrease in cranking power unless you routinely do not run the car for two weeks at a time (or longer). If this is the case, then a battery tender will keep the battery fresh for an extended period of time.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:08 AM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery. (Dave68)

If you go to

http://www.acdelco.com

and enter your year, make , and model of C5, you'll see that the only AGM selection is the 75P7YR. Remember that thickening the plates in a battery is often necessary to extend the battery's life, particularly if a size constraint is necessary. The small downside is a slight reduction in CCAs. However, the added life outweighs the decrease in cranking power unless you routinely do not run the car for two weeks at a time (or longer). If this is the case, then a battery tender will keep the battery fresh for an extended period of time.
I just did as you suggested, and the ACDelco site listed the 78P-7YR for my 2000 Vette. No 75P-7YR was listed.
http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/index.htm

[Modified by 2KFRC5, 11:14 PM 9/6/2002]
Old 09-07-2002, 05:48 AM
redriverjohn
Pro

This must be a recent change as a few weeks ago I used the same website to select my battery and it came up 75P-7YR. The OEM battery in my car was a 78H-5YR. I imagine the 78 group has just recently been added to the line. I know that when I checked the battery in a new '02 sitting on the dealer's lot, it had a 75P-7YR installed in it from the factory.

Very interesting.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:13 AM
redriverjohn
Pro

After some further checking on the Delco website, I think that I have figured out the reason for the different group numbers we experienced.

The site calls for the 75P-7YR beginning with the 2001 model year and the 78P-7YR for model years 2000 and back. I believe that this is probably due to the fact that the 2001s were the first C5s spec'd to use the AGM technology & thus they get the slightly smaller group 75 battery. As a result I have a hunch that the '01 and newer cars may have a slightly smaller battery tray than the previous cars which used the group 78 battery. Just a guess though. I have the 75P-7YR installed in my 2000 coupe and it fit fine, no adaptors were necessary, although I did notice that when I installed the new battery that the heat insulator blanket no longer would fit, it was a little oversize and the holes for the terminals would not line up. Then I read that the new AGM batteries are not nearly as sensitive to heat as were the old lead/acid types, so I did not worry about reinstalling the old insulator.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:06 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

John,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I had looked-up only my year (2001) C5 battery types. It makes sense, though, to select the 75P-7YR, since it is definitely an AGM battery.

Don, judging by Redriverjohn's experience, the AGM will fit okay and is available at many locations. I highly recommend it as well.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:34 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery. (Dave68)

John,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I had looked-up only my year (2001) C5 battery types. It makes sense, though, to select the 75P-7YR, since it is definitely an AGM battery.

Don, judging by Redriverjohn's experience, the AGM will fit okay and is available at many locations. I highly recommend it as well.
Dave,

The 78P-7YR is also definitely an AGM. I, like you, did not check the other years, as I figured they would all be the same. So, it appears the 75 group is recommended for 2001 and later, Group 78 for the previous years. I learned something new, again.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery.

Quick Reply: Finally getting new Delco glass mat battery.