C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug/Wire install

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Christian327
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Spark Plug/Wire install

So my buddy and I just finished installing some new plugs (Ac Delco 41.110) and some wires from a forum vendor. My car is 17 years old now and I dont think they have ever been changed (58000 miles). The plugs were definitely on their way out but the wires were even worse & coming apart like nothing! After gathering a lot of info through the forum, we dove into it. And definitely #7 & #8 were a pain!! I put a dab of antisieze on the threads of the plugs and dielectric grease in the wire end. I do have several questions that I would like opinions from though.

1) I didnt have a torque wrench that could torque to 11lbs, neither did autozone/oreillys rent one out. After reading through a bunch, making the plugs snug tight should be sufficient enough. Is there a way to know if I overtightened/undertightened?

2) The wires I bought were different shaped then the originals. I didnt notice until I took them out of the box. Verified to make sure they work on our engines and they do but the metal shields no longer fit. Is that okay? I made sure the headers arent touching the wires but am still a tad bit worried. Has anyone used these with theirs/thoughts?

These are the wires I bought from a forum vendor.<br/>They are 8.5mm Street Series Spark Plug Wires

Overall, it took around 2 hours. Drove it around last night and this morning to work and so far no codes, no misfires or noises. I did catch this burning smell right after but it went away after a little bit. Im guessing thats from the greasings? Glad I got it done, saved a ton of money and feeling accomplished!!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

PUT YOUR FEARS TO REST! All is well. Wires will be fine. I like to use the shields but they are not mandatory.

Plug torque.
Well, you are on your own with that one because what is tight for you may be loose for me or vise a versa.

Ive done so many plug changes that I usually get the plug tightness within a couple of ft/lbs either way. No harm no foul..
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
chasboy (05-05-2016), Christian327 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
PUT YOUR FEARS TO REST! All is well. Wires will be fine. I like to use the shields but they are not mandatory.

Plug torque.
Well, you are on your own with that one because what is tight for you may be loose for me or vise a versa.

Ive done so many plug changes that I usually get the plug tightness within a couple of ft/lbs either way. No harm no foul..
Thanks Bill, your word does put me at ease lol Youre right though on the plug torque. I may just invest in a proper torque wrench for the future. Was bummed out when I couldnt rent one. Hopefully all is well, I guess I'll find out within the next couple of drives. It may just be mental but I feel it a little more peppy too lol
Old 05-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

they look like Hinson wires.
If yes installed a set and they look and worked great.
I have after market headers and they work well with the angle at the plug.
No shields no problem.

Yes torque the plugs,good luck with that. No room for that.
If you are still concerned pull one easy to reach plug if it is loose you know you have to go back and check all of them if it is tight you should be fine.
The following users liked this post:
Christian327 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

If you didn't use the heat shields it would be a good idea to get some wire covers, if you have headers... I use the Koolsox thermal protectors. They are pricey but work well
As long as you didn't torque the crap out of the plugs I'm sure it will be fine.
The following users liked this post:
Christian327 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by bwill03z
If you didn't use the heat shields it would be a good idea to get some wire covers, if you have headers... I use the Koolsox thermal protectors. They are pricey but work well
As long as you didn't torque the crap out of the plugs I'm sure it will be fine.
No headers...yet lol I may look into those wire covers anyways though. Been driving it around last couple of days and so far all is well, so I'm guessing it was a job well done!

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug/Wire install

Quick Reply: Spark Plug/Wire install