C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow and green wires under dash board??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:33 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Yellow and green wires under dash board??

I´m almost done removing a lot of extra wires and circuits added to the car by some of the previous owners. It´s a 2001 C5z produced in Canada and later imported to Sweden.

I found these to wires - yellow and green - which is tapped into the blue and light blue wire. I think, that the blue and light blue wires are the turn signal light, but I´m not sure?

The yellow and green wires comes out of the wrapped thick harness that goes from side to side under the dash board - and it doesn´t seem that anybody have had that harness oppened recently.

So:
- Can anybody identify the blue and light blue wire?
- Is the yellow and green wires OEM (cutted somewhere and tapped into the new position) - or is it something for me just to remove?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Not OEM. Just unplug them and see if anything stops working.
If it was my car that is what I would do

Last edited by Smoken1; 05-09-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:25 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smoken1
Not OEM. Just unplug them and see if anything stops working.
If it was my car that is what I would do
That was also my first idea - but I dont like unplugging wires when I dont know where they end
Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

It might be helpful if you told us where this connector went.

Mr. Sam
Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
AndersT
Instructor

It is some sort of a "connection rack" and looks to have 2 connection plugs on each side. It is located on the left side below the steering column.

This Picture shows both plugs facing against the drivers seat, and all the wires runs to the switches on the left side of the steering Wheel.

This shows the rear side (facing against the firewall) where the extra wires are taped to the outlet plugs.

These Pictures shows the bundle of wires from the outlet plugs. It routes into the harness that runs under the dash board. In the second Picture the wires are routed in to the harness in the top.

Hope somebody can identify the blue and light blue wires - and maybe what the green and yellow wires is supposed to do? If not, I will have to start un-wraping the harness, but I hoped to know more about it, before doing that.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

QUOTE" It´s a 2001 C5z produced in Canada and later imported to Sweden. "

(produced in Canada )

ALL C5/C6 & C7 Corvettes are built in the Bowling Green Kentucky Corvette Plant.

If you have a Canadian RPO car, It was built with that RPO at the Bowling Green Plant and then shipped to Canada and then shipped to Sweden.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:59 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
QUOTE" It´s a 2001 C5z produced in Canada and later imported to Sweden. "

(produced in Canada )

ALL C5/C6 & C7 Corvettes are built in the Bowling Green Kentucky Corvette Plant.

If you have a Canadian RPO car, It was built with that RPO at the Bowling Green Plant and then shipped to Canada and then shipped to Sweden.
Thanks, Bill - my mistake
Any help is appreciated - and the knowledge on this forum is amazing when you are located in Denmark and needs help
Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

IIRC, engines in some C5 years were made at a GM plant in Canada, then shipped to BG.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:14 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Any info about the wires ?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

It would appear they tied the turn signal wires together feeding the backs from the fronts. This would mean no brake lights if they did it like I assume. There must have been an issue with the MF switch.

The Blues are for the front lights and the Green and Yellow are the rears.

Mr. Sam

Last edited by dadaroo; 05-12-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:52 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
It would appear they tied the turn signal wires together feeding the backs from the fronts. This would mean no brake lights if they did it like I assume. There must have been an issue with the MF switch.

The Blues are for the front lights and the Green and Yellow are the rears.

Mr. Sam
Hmm - that makes sense. I remember the yellow and green wire from the rear light harness. It had the OEM lamps inside (only rear and brake light) and the red/orange Euro housings outside. The yellow and green wire was cutted, and used to feed the turn signals in the euro lamps.

I have now removed all the extra pigtails and soldered the yellow and green wire together Again, so the rear harness is OEM. I have radioflyers LED taillight with euro-mod on its way in and his euro conversion harness (the extra harness that goes between the connectors in right side rear wheel opening, and feeds the rear turn signal).

Pictures before and after:

Is it safe to leave the spliced wires under the steering column as it is - or should I do something? There has newer been any issues with the turn signals?

Will the spliced wires have any issues, when I also installed the hyper flash harness? What I mean is: do the yellow and green wires still run through the hyper flash harness, or are the rigth now routed another way?

Thanks, Anders
Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

The wires under the dash go to turn signals. In Europe, the Amber DRLs have to be disabled and some countries require side "repeater" turn signals. It's likely that these wires under the dash go to that.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:16 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AndersT
Hmm - that makes sense. I remember the yellow and green wire from the rear light harness. It had the OEM lamps inside (only rear and brake light) and the red/orange Euro housings outside. The yellow and green wire was cutted, and used to feed the turn signals in the euro lamps.

I have now removed all the extra pigtails and soldered the yellow and green wire together Again, so the rear harness is OEM. I have radioflyers LED taillight with euro-mod on its way in and his euro conversion harness (the extra harness that goes between the connectors in right side rear wheel opening, and feeds the rear turn signal).

Pictures before and after:

Is it safe to leave the spliced wires under the steering column as it is - or should I do something? There has newer been any issues with the turn signals?

Will the spliced wires have any issues, when I also installed the hyper flash harness? What I mean is: do the yellow and green wires still run through the hyper flash harness, or are the rigth now routed another way?

Thanks, Anders
The Hyperflash harness is before the feed to the rear and front. Not sure what you are trying to do in converting to non OEM but good luck.

Mr. Sam
Old 05-14-2016, 03:22 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Got all the lights installed today and tested them. Everything Works perfect, so for now I leave the 2 wires taped in. As radioflyer wrote it might have been part of some euro modification.

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow and green wires under dash board??

Quick Reply: Yellow and green wires under dash board??