C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW PRODUCT: MMS 223 cc Sportsman heads!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 04:10 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Default NEW PRODUCT: MMS 223 cc Sportsman heads!!

Guys,

Sorry I haven't been as active on this board as I have in the past....

While most of that is simply due to running Mamo Motorsports full time, part of the reason is the time I have invested working on this new line of "Sportsman" value oriented performance heads which has taken me months to complete and document. While some of you were privy to this information along the way, Im pleased to announce to all of you the program is finally complete and the results have actually slightly surpassed my original goals for the project and I'm really excited about that and the performance potential of these new heads.

Most of you are already familiar with my full CNC line of cathedral heads.....the MMS 220's and the MMS 235's probably the most popular, but like most things in life the quality of the heads and the CNC time required to build them brings a higher price tag with the final product as well. While the performance gains warrant the price of admission, my goal with the new Sportsman line was to produce a head close in flow and performance but offer the consumer a substantial reduction in cost which is always extremely challenging and difficult to do (especially if your as detail oriented as I tend to be and sweat all the details).

My new heads are a bit of a hybrid of sorts incorporating as cast surfaces to save five axis CNC porting time, but they do incorporate full CNC chambers for consistency there (a very critical area for flow and the combustion process). In addition to that the MMS 223 heads will also include hand finishing in the bowls (at no additional cost) creating a seamless blend from the valvejob to the intake and exhaust ports. This process is time consuming but critical to ensure consistency of flow in an as cast port design....without this additional effort, you could leave 10-15 CFM on the table easily due to steps and bad transitions in the most important part of the flow path (air entering and exiting the valvejob).

Let me summarize by saying this....my goal with the less expensive MMS 223 Sportsman head was to get as close in performance/flow as possible to the MMS 220 full CNC piece...both heads designed to optimize any 3.900 bore application, a 346 and a 383 being the most popular. Perhaps one of the best independent results showcasing the potential of the MMS 220 design is DarthV8r's F-Body with a 227 cam that produced a tad short of 500 RWHP; a build that was well documented all along it's journey and a good read for those who missed it. While there are others of notoriety as well, DarthV8r's sticks out as a shining accomplishment of what I always knew the MMS 220 head to be capable of. I knew 500 RWHP with a small cam was within reach because of what I personally achieved a decade ago with the original (and first aftermarket cathedral) head I designed in 2004 (the AFR 205) which produced 475-480 RWHP on a half a dozen different dyno's at the time with only a 224/228 cam (my new MMS 220 and the MMS 223 offering even more potential with an additional 20 CFM of intake airflow).

I say all this to try and convey how good the new Sportsman 223 head actually is and the value play it offers you guys.

Is it as good as the full CNC MMS 220? No....that would not have been realistic but its alot closer than I expected it would be. In fact the intake port, flowed on a 3.900 bore, is about the same (give or take a CFM or two)....some lifts higher, some lifts lower but due to a slightly larger port, is not quite as efficient as the smaller MMS 220 head. The higher lift exhaust flow is where the largest difference lies with similar numbers from .200 - .400 lift....after that the as cast port gives up a little and finishes 10 CFM shy of the full CNC 220 head at .600 lift. When the smoke clears I think the difference in actual performance will be modest and the value this head offers quite apparent.

Here are the numbers on a 3.900 bore.....they flow over 320 CFM in a 4" or larger bore btw and would make an excellent choice for a 6.0 liter motor as well.

Lift......Int.....Exh

The intake port pours exactly 223 cc's when I'm done hence the 223 designation.

(Need to pour the exhaust at some point....its pretty conservative and would work well with a 1.75 header).

Here are a handful of pics I grabbed for you guys trying to show off the various features of the new heads

Good shot of the CNC Chambers....

Close-ups of the custom valvejob profiles and the bowl blending that comes standard equipment with this product....no additional cost

Hope you guys are appreciating the seamless transition from the valvejob to the combustion chamber (which can be seen here pretty well). This is something that I worked on for many hours mostly changing and working with the design of the valvejob profiles till both intake and exhaust melted seamlessly in the combustion chamber. That's worth power guys and its difficult to achieve without manipulating it by hand most of the time.

And finally a shot perched on a new engine I'm building (thanks Larry Taylor!!)

Valvesprings....these heads will only be offered with premium PAC .650 lift valvespring....there is no upgrade....the upgrade spring is basically standard equipment because I am a real stickler about proper valve control (some of which is dictated by the proper valvesprings).

Retainers....in an effort to keep costs down, steel retainers will come as standard equipment but I will always recommend that my customer upgrade to titanium to reduce the mass of the valve/spring assembly. The upgrade price is very reasonable at $125

And speaking of PRICE.....yeah, I strung you guys along and left the best for last Im going to be selling these heads for $2150 which I feel is a complete bargain for the type of quality and performance potential these heads have to offer. You guys know my reputation and what I normally bring to the table....this is a product Im proud to put my name on at a price that should bring smiles to those that can appreciate what goes into it.

Better yet, for a short time Im going to have an introductory special on these heads and offer them at a starting price of $2050 to help out the guys willing to be the pioneers as others look on awaiting some results. Not sure how long I will be willing to do this cause the margin is tight even at $2150 but for now that's the price so if your in the market and have followed my career and accomplishments over the years grab it while you have the opportunity.

Guys, thanks for taking the time to read all this.....if you have any questions feel free to chime in this thread, email, PM, or pick up the phone. I shouldn't have to state the obvious but I will....for guys looking to completely optimize their combination, and are lucky enough to be working with a larger budget, the MMS 220 is slightly more efficient on the intake side and has a higher flowing exhaust port....it will make more power and torque. But, for the guys that are working with a tighter budget, my new Sportsman head is an extremely exciting product that offers alot of value and will produce impressive results.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 05-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I can't wait for my set to be done! Thanks Tony.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

Since i have to tare into my motor I could sell my Dart 205's and get a set of these. Have to pull motor first to see if I can salvage it and then make a game plan for bigger and better. These will be on my list depending on whats wrong with my motor.
Chris

Get notified of new replies

To NEW PRODUCT: MMS 223 cc Sportsman heads!!

Quick Reply: NEW PRODUCT: MMS 223 cc Sportsman heads!!