C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Antenna Mast won't go down

Old 06-06-2016, 10:58 AM
craig-o
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Power Antenna Mast won't go down

I have a 2001 convertible with the power antenna. Yesterday, the antenna failed to retract. The motor makes the same noise it always has when the radio is turned on or off, but the mast stays in the extended position.

I've looked at the service manual and searched the forum. I presume the plastic cable has failed, and I'll need to remove the motor cover and see if there are pieces inside the motor, however, I cannot lower the mast, nor can I remove it per the service manual instructions to remove the mast nut.

The manual states "It may be necessary to gently pull the mast up by hand to release and remove." I've pulled quite hard with the radio on, and the mast and the contact spring won't budge.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there a secret to getting the mast and contact spring out?
2. Can the motor be removed with the mast in the upright position?
3. If I need to cut the mast to remove it, will I be able to just replace the mast, ($20), or will I be committed to an entire new assembly ($200)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 AM
craig-o
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, so I was finally able to remove the mast, but NOT by "gently pulling"! Not even "vigorously pulling" would accurately describe my technique. More like the equivalent of using a slide hammer on the mast!

OK, so now it's out, and I presume there's a bit of the plastic cable stuck in the motor housing, so I'll pull that next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Antenna Mast won't go down