C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant smell when I turn the heat/AC on, but doesn't seem like heater core...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:46 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Coolant smell when I turn the heat/AC on, but doesn't seem like heater core...

I've read through a bunch of threads where people have a coolant smell coming from under the hood. I get it coming out of my vents for about 5 seconds if I run the blower fan, on hot or cold. It's done it for awhile, and hasn't gotten any worse. The carpet is dry as a bone, my windows don't fog up, anything like that. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks guys!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

The vapor that forms from just about any leak under the hood can be picked up by the car's ventilation system air inlet. I agree - 5 seconds seems quite quick - but it's certainly possible...

If you're loosing coolant - I'd suggest either pressure test the system, or go with the fluorescent dye in the cooling system, and look for leaks with a black light at night. Generally speaking - either one of those approaches will find the leak in pretty short order.

Quick Reply: Coolant smell when I turn the heat/AC on, but doesn't seem like heater core...