C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally solved loose steering. It was the steering column!

Old 07-10-2016, 08:20 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Finally solved loose steering. It was the steering column!

I had about 3/8" free play in my steering. Really bothered me when on the highway. I went through hell trying to diagnose the problem. I checked everything, including suspension components, steering rack, Intermediate shaft couplers, and intermediate shaft. I even replaced my steering rack and intermediate shaft.

Well, it was the steering column! I never heard of this happening. Either the column tilt U joint or the collapsible steering column shaft has developed some free play. I replaced the column and all is better know!

I diagnosed this by disconnecting the intermediate shaft and used a vice grip on the end of the steering column that protrudes into the engine compartment. I accessed the end of the column by removing the left inner fender access panel. I could then reach my steering wheel and slowly rotate the wheel to detect the free play.

Replacing the steering column was a PITA because of the tight space under the dash. My back hasn't recovered yet from the contortions I had to go through to access some of the wires and bolts.

Car has never been in an accident and has only 50K miles on the ODO.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01vetter:
Alley Oop (01-01-2024), Tron Z (01-03-2024)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:47 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Old 07-10-2016, 10:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good deal that you finally got it figured out. Sometimes it does take a lot of trial and error.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Maybe do a little dissection on that old steering column and prove out the actual failed component.

You may help others and you may actually find a way to FIX the issue.

That's how I figure out what fails and cool ways to overcome the problem for little or no expense.

BC
The following users liked this post:
Tron Z (01-03-2024)
Old 07-12-2016, 01:12 AM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Well done!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 01vetter
I had about 3/8" free play in my steering. Really bothered me when on the highway. I went through hell trying to diagnose the problem. I checked everything, including suspension components, steering rack, Intermediate shaft couplers, and intermediate shaft. I even replaced my steering rack and intermediate shaft.

Well, it was the steering column! I never heard of this happening. Either the column tilt U joint or the collapsible steering column shaft has developed some free play. I replaced the column and all is better know!

I diagnosed this by disconnecting the intermediate shaft and used a vice grip on the end of the steering column that protrudes into the engine compartment. I accessed the end of the column by removing the left inner fender access panel. I could then reach my steering wheel and slowly rotate the wheel to detect the free play.

Replacing the steering column was a PITA because of the tight space under the dash. My back hasn't recovered yet from the contortions I had to go through to access some of the wires and bolts.

Car has never been in an accident and has only 50K miles on the ODO.

bringing up an old thread, I am having a similar issue and not sure I have been chasing it for a year and came across this. Anyway to check your intermediate shaft to see if it's bad?
Old 12-31-2023, 12:16 PM
Chadmdobson
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have about 1/2” free play in my steering and I’ve gone through everything except the steering column at this point. I’m going to check it out today. Did you order a used steering column or is there a place to order new ones online?

Thanks,
Chad
Old 01-03-2024, 01:50 AM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for posting. I'm sure that I've heard of stranger issues at such a low mileage, but I can't think of one at the moment. As @Bill mentions, it would be very useful to determine the exact point of failure, should you have the time to take a deep dive into the column.

Cheers!
Old 01-03-2024, 10:46 PM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 378 Likes on 268 Posts

When I first got my C5 at 31k there was play in the steering wheel. It turned out the coupler bolt to the steering rack was loose. Tightened the bolt and no play.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:42 AM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C5MSG2004Vert
When I first got my C5 at 31k there was play in the steering wheel. It turned out the coupler bolt to the steering rack was loose. Tightened the bolt and no play.
Similar experience. Any number of fasteners or couplers can work loose. Steering columns are basically all the same, troubleshooting the column starts checking the intermediate shaft between the firewall and steering rack. You can check the joints at either end of the shaft by twisting it with your hand. I've seen lots of these go bad. I would also check the column nut under the airbag. Even though the steering wheel is a press fit and you'd think the nut doesn't do much, I've seen these nuts back off enough where the innards of the column are no longer under compression and will give you the wiggle you are seeing. I've also seen tilt steering pivot pins work loose, a quick twist with an allen wrench will tighten these up.
The following users liked this post:
Dads2kconvertible (01-08-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:43 PM
Chadmdobson
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jwg2
Similar experience. Any number of fasteners or couplers can work loose. Steering columns are basically all the same, troubleshooting the column starts checking the intermediate shaft between the firewall and steering rack. You can check the joints at either end of the shaft by twisting it with your hand. I've seen lots of these go bad. I would also check the column nut under the airbag. Even though the steering wheel is a press fit and you'd think the nut doesn't do much, I've seen these nuts back off enough where the innards of the column are no longer under compression and will give you the wiggle you are seeing. I've also seen tilt steering pivot pins work loose, a quick twist with an allen wrench will tighten these up.
Where are the tilt steering pivot pins located? Do you need to take the column out to get at those?
Old 01-08-2024, 01:00 AM
fun_n_sun
Instructor

Default Steering column brace was lose

Originally Posted by Chadmdobson
Where are the tilt steering pivot pins located? Do you need to take the column out to get at those?
In my case it took me a long time to figure out that the steering column bolts under the dash were loose. I had replaced my sway bar links and shocks but would notice I felt a popping noise and feeling it in the steering wheel when I would enter a driveway at a certain Trader Joe’s. It sounded like it was more in the inside of the car. I had also checked the intermediate shaft bolt and that wasn’t loose. I pulled the lower dash trim and there’s a brace the steering column sits on that has I think two bolts on each side. They were loose. I tightened them up and problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally solved loose steering. It was the steering column!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally solved loose steering. It was the steering column!