C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the panel to access the brake light switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:40 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default How do I remove the panel to access the brake light switch?

I have removed the knee bolster under the steering column and there is yet another plastic panel that I need to remove to access the switch. There are two plastic push pins (they sort of have serrations on the pins to hold them in place) in the front, but it appears that there is some sort of washer nut at the back of the panel holding it in place. Of course this is all while upside down and contorted, so I'm not really sure what I am seeing. It looks as though there is a stud protruding down, with this washer on the end holding the panel in place. (Hopefully I'm explaining this clearly enough.) What do I need to do with this so as to be able to remove the panel? Thanks in advance for your help !
Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

If it's the panel I'm thinking of there's 2 black plastic tabs
Old 08-17-2016, 01:28 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by junk c5
If it's the panel I'm thinking of there's 2 black plastic tabs
The panel appears to be fastened in three places - the two plastic pins along the front edge (closest to the driver) and the metal-looking washer along the back edge.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:30 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by wamara
I have removed the knee bolster under the steering column and there is yet another plastic panel that I need to remove to access the switch. There are two plastic push pins (they sort of have serrations on the pins to hold them in place) in the front, but it appears that there is some sort of washer nut at the back of the panel holding it in place. Of course this is all while upside down and contorted, so I'm not really sure what I am seeing. It looks as though there is a stud protruding down, with this washer on the end holding the panel in place. (Hopefully I'm explaining this clearly enough.) What do I need to do with this so as to be able to remove the panel? Thanks in advance for your help !
If that last one (the metal one) looks like these push-on retainers you'll just have to get a bit medieval. I used a flat blade screwdriver and pried up under the edges, going back and forth, side to side. Slowly work it off. Try not to break it if possible since you can re-use it. If it gets deformed just use pliers to flatten it back out again to push back on with a small socket on a nutdriver.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Pus...ners_s/153.htm
The following 2 users liked this post by LoneStarFRC:
nsogiba (08-17-2016), wamara (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Correct, the "front" pins are just serrated push pins and can be yanked out and reused. The rear metal retaining washer is technically a one time use fastener as it isn't designed to be easily removed. Grab a pair of needlenose and work it back and forth to pull it off. If it's not too damaged you can reuse it, if not, don't worry about it.
The following users liked this post:
wamara (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:09 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
If that last one (the metal one) looks like these push-on retainers you'll just have to get a bit medieval. I used a flat blade screwdriver and pried up under the edges, going back and forth, side to side. Slowly work it off. Try not to break it if possible since you can re-use it. If it gets deformed just use pliers to flatten it back out again to push back on with a small socket on a nutdriver.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Pus...ners_s/153.htm
Yes, that is what it looks like.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:11 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Correct, the "front" pins are just serrated push pins and can be yanked out and reused. The rear metal retaining washer is technically a one time use fastener as it isn't designed to be easily removed. Grab a pair of needlenose and work it back and forth to pull it off. If it's not too damaged you can reuse it, if not, don't worry about it.
Thank you and also to LoneStar I do have to shake my head in puzzlement as to the engineer's choices in these assembly matters

Get notified of new replies

To How do I remove the panel to access the brake light switch?

Quick Reply: How do I remove the panel to access the brake light switch?