C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded oil sender repair - short or long socket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:13 PM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dreaded oil sender repair - short or long socket?

Have 2003 base coupe. I've read many posts on replacing the sending unit with out removing the intake and I am about to try. I do not want to cut the access hole in the car. However, I need to purchase the 1 1/16th sending unit socket to do the work. When I search online I find many, many sockets for sale. The main difference in the sockets seem to be the depth. Some look like a deep well while others don't appear to be much longer than a standard socket. I have swivels, universal joints, various extensions, etc, so I'm not worried about what to use with the socket.

My question is "Is the deep well needed and will it's length create interference" and "If the shorter socket will work it appears that it would allow more working room - true?".

Anyone tried the shorter or longer socket and what can you say about which is necessary or the best for the application??

Thanks
Old 09-14-2016, 11:16 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I have changed it 3 times. get the long socket.
remove engine covers,
First move the hoses out of the way, starting with the breather on the left head at the back under the drip tray.
Then make yourself a connector puller by using a coat hanger, Use the long side of the hangar, then make a U in one end, with a curl up at the end of the u. Bend the long end in a gentle curve, and bend the opposite end of the u in a 90 so you can grip it with oily hands.
use a flash light, locate the sender connector and determine the clip side.
Then gently slide the u under the clip, and with your other hand, pull the wire gently. the connector will slide right off, but take care and use caution.
then assemble the socket, a 1/2 inch universal then a one foot long extension, and then a ratchet.
get a strip of duct tape a half inch wide, an inch or so long, and tape it to the inside of the socket on one of the flats. This holds the sender unit in the socket, and it doesn't fall out.
then snake the socket down over the sender, and just back it out.
After you get the sender out, clean the area with a bit of old washcloth taped to your finger.
Clear the area where the hole is by making radial strokes away from the hole.
If you do not clean the area, you will certainly knock dirt into the hole trying to get the sender started.
Everybody is so worried about the torque. If you just snug it up, I found it doesn't leak, doesn't tweak the housing, and mine lasted about two years the first time, five years the second, and I'm on the third one. it has been there over a year, and no leaks.
do not try to "torque" it. I think the torqueing of it tends to shorten the life of the sender.
I just snuggged it up and put some non hardening gasket sealer I got at autozone on the threads in a small amount. It works it's way up to the gasket when you screw it in, and prevents the oil from wicking it's way up the threads. also helps hold the gasket on the threads.
Then push the connector back onto the sender, and reconnect the hoses. put the engine covers back on and check your oil pressure. You're done!

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 09-14-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I relocated mine once !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

i didn't relocate, I just changed bad senders.
Didn't expect to change it more than once, but O'Reilly's has a lifetime warranty, so I only bought one.
It takes about half hour, so not a big deal.
Besides, If I am going to go to the trouble of buying a socket that big, I want to use it more than once...................

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 09-14-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:40 AM
chain_5001
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Whichever way you do it you'll need the deep socket.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:32 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I got my socket from advance auto, it is reversible its two sizes. I used a piece of tubing on the sensor to get it started.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:39 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If I could do it again I would have just pulled the intake manifold, super easy at that point. Ended up relocating the sensor when I had to rebuild my motor just in case it every went out again.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
i didn't relocate, I just changed bad senders.
Didn't expect to change it more than once, but O'Reilly's has a lifetime warranty, so I only bought one.
It takes about half hour, so not a big deal.
Besides, If I am going to go to the trouble of buying a socket that big, I want to use it more than once...................

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded oil sender repair - short or long socket?

Quick Reply: Dreaded oil sender repair - short or long socket?